GE - Microcosm of our great country | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GE

"Microcosm of our great country"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunities are everywhere, but they are what you make of them.
- Majority of people are great to work with and are generally very bright and willing to lend a hand.
- Advancement of technology and information sharing is paramount to driving innovation and future growth.

Cons

- Large corporation with complex organizational structure and lots of bureaucracy.
- Government oversight due to the nature of the business reduces speed of developing new technologies and slows new product introduction to the market.

Other Employee Reviews for GE

"GE used to be a GREAT company. It is not a mediocre company."

Current Employee - Marketing in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at GE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many super-talented, experienced, creative and impressive people working in GE. Unfortunately, those people rarely advance to become senior leaders within the company, but they are wonderful people to work with. The GE culture is tough, demanding and aggressive. I say those things all in a positive light, as my own personal style closely matches the "GE persona."

Cons

For the past several years, most senior managers are not leaders, visionaries, and can easily pitch out buzzwords and speak about "driving growth" "innovation" and "collaboration."

In reality, most senior managers care exclusively about managing their own resumes to land their next gig either in GE or elsewhere. If you want to be inspired and learn from senior leaders, get a good book or watch an inspiring TED Talk. You won't find it here.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people who are nothing but "taking heads" who simply repeat empty, meaningless buzzwords that they don't understand themselves. There is a tremendous pool of talented employees within the ranks with more active braincells than most of the folks sitting in corner offices. What a shame.

2. "Had a good experience on leadership program, learned a lot, but ultimately was not able to pursue desired career path."

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Erie, PA

I have been working at GE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits were good, ample training was provided, company values were in line with my beliefs

Cons

Competing metrics between departments often led to inefficiencies, stressful environment at times, understaffed and took a long time to backfill vacated positions

Advice to Management

Allow young, high potential employees to move laterally and gain different expertise and explore interests.