GE - Work Environment | Glassdoor

"Work Environment"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at GE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work at.

Cons

Enjoyed working there. Don't have anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Other Employee Reviews for GE

1. "Challenging Work Environment, Not Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Greenville, SC

I worked at GE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GE is an established company with well-established product development plans. There was clear and concise information from management about the program goals at the front end of the project, but they were willing to adjust those goals depending on feedback from other groups. GE has a number of process and systems in place to promote and challenge their employees. The company is so large and diverse, there is never a lack of opportunity within the company.

Cons

GE continually challenges its employees, which can lead to stressful work situations. The benefits were not great when I was there. New employees (regardless of previous work experience) were given 2 weeks of vacation. There was pressure on the employees to not take much vacation during the year but to save it for around the end of the year (most employees take off the last two weeks of the year). In addition, the healthcare contribution was significant for families and were high deductible plans.

Advice to Management

The company has a good vision and good overall technical and project management, but better benefits and work/life balance would be helpful for employee retention.

2. "Treading water"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at GE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of work to go around, whether on customer projects or new product development. Good working environment where everyone has an office of their own. The salary is competitive for the area. I generally enjoy the people that I work with. Minimal drama.

Cons

Legacy product with little room for incorporating new technologies in any substantial way. Not many opportunities for advancement outside of management.

Advice to Management

We need less upper management.