GE - Culture | Glassdoor

"Culture"

I have been working at GE full-time

Pros

Lots of great opportunities
You control your own career

Cons

Can be too big at times a lot of red tape

Advice to Management

Simplify all of your administrative policies

Other Employee Reviews for GE

1. "Great legacy, but not near the technical or managerial titan of the past"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at GE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security, Incredible dedication and talent at the working level, many employees work from home and even in the office no one punches a clock, Quick promotions if you fit the right "profile". GE will go to the ends of the earth to keep from laying off or terminating employees, regardless of their job performance.

Cons

Lack of accountability. Processes, programs, complicated software "solutions" that are rolled out business wide are routinely problem plagued, bug filled, and developed and implemented by teams that do not understand the business or customers. Operational teams are forced to immediately develop work arounds that sometimes exist for years until the process problems are at least partially corrected. No one is ever held accountable for these failures, on the contrary the individuals are often promoted. Many middle level managers have no idea exactly what or how their direct reports do their jobs since understanding how a particular business functions is seldom a job requirement to be a manager in that business. No or tiny promotions if you don't fit the right "profile". HR structure and policies make it extremely difficult, time consuming and labor intensive to terminate non performing employees.

2. "6 years in GE Energy Air Filtration Sourcing Organization"

Current Employee - Buyer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Buyer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at GE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation relative to other companies, constant training, high expectations. Very much enjoyed co-workers and my cross-functional team.

Cons

Our small business has had 4 different General Managers in my 6 years - I've had 3 different direct managers in the same time. Thus the vision and path to achieve it has changed pretty radicaly multiple times.

Only as our office is closing is there any real interest to deeplu understand what I do and how I do it.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice.