GE - Small fish in a mammoth but great ocean | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GE

"Small fish in a mammoth but great ocean"

Former Employee - IT Manager
Former Employee - IT Manager

I worked at GE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

GE is a huge company that is made up of multiple strong businesses. Irrespective of what role you are in, every day you learn and grow exponentially. The leaders are selected through a tough selection process so any GE leader is a role model. This is the place you need to be to learn leadership skills and grow your business acumen and domain knowledge. Also GE really knows how to sail through tough business cycles with the help of both innovative and effective decision making.

Due to all this I was able to grow from a systems analyst to a seasoned management professional when I quit. I owe a lot of my skills and knowledge to GE.

Cons

GE is not a place to be if you would like to grow your technical skills in IT since IT is not a core competency there. Also at times you could feel like very small fish in a mammoth ocean, a cog in the wheel and hence your achievements start looking small in comparison

Advice to Management

Some India leaders of IT teams try to control their teams as if they are in IT Services, which is far from reality...and they fail!

Other Employee Reviews for GE

1. "OK if you come in straight out of college"

I have been working at GE full-time

Pros

Great Vacation and Sick day benefits. Good systems and tools. Supports diverse employees as long as you dress and act like everyone else.

Cons

GE is risk averse and conservative in spending. Great place to be if you come in through one of the many college hire programs. Those are the people that get promoted. If you join later, career growth can be a real challenge or nonexistent. People with 10 to 15 years of experience are considered interchangable. Employees are not important unless they are senior level or higher. To move up you have to change jobs and cities every 2 years.

Advice to Management

No advice since no one will care unless you are really high up in the company. Until GE stops believing that they have all the answers and that those answers are the BEST, they will continue their downward slide.

2. "Stable"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minden, NV
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minden, NV

I have been working at GE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GE has been smart enough to stay around for a long time because management is pragmatic and tries to stay grounded in real numbers and safe bets.

Cons

Risk taking is not always rewarded, even when successful. GE tends to take safe bet and looks for innovative ideas that they can buy through aquisitions rather than branching out and trying new things themselves.

Advice to Management

Find a way to communicate your vision for the future of the business than by telling us the revenue you want to achieve. Having an end goal is great, but you need to tell us how you want us to get there.