GEICO - So far So good | Glassdoor

"So far So good"

Current Employee - Salvage Specialist in Macon, GA
Current Employee - Salvage Specialist in Macon, GA

I have been working at GEICO part-time

Pros

From what I can tell, the benefits are pretty awesome. The health insurance is top notch, they have profit sharing, 401k, in my department we have 6 paid holidays and 4 floating holidays. 3 sick days and 3 personal days plus 2 weeks of vacation. I think that is a pretty sweet deal. You get what you put into it. I work hard so I plan on it paying off. If I slack off then I deserve what happens next.

Cons

Parking is a down side. In training you get a 1 hour lunch and then when you hit the floor you only get 30 minutes. Tough since you have to go downstairs to get lunch. That's about it for the cons.

Other Employee Reviews for GEICO

"I keep my family and friends away from here"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

health insurance is good - you'll need it with this stress of working here. just about everyone has on going FMLA.

Cons

open door policy, they don't mean it. complaints, you'll be targeted. never heard anyone say they like working there.

Advice to Management

they don't care about advice, you learn that early. We are told be thankful for your job. HR useless.

2. "Fast growing company that could benefit from its own advice."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway providing near complete job security. Above average benefits package for a private company. Third largest and fastest growing auto insurance company in the US (soon to overtake Allstate as #2). Good developmental opportunities for early leadership roles and to gain management experience and skills that can be translated elsewhere. Wide range of job functions available and offices all around the US.

Cons

Salaries are consistently below the industry average. The company has clearly established operating principles that in theory would create a wonderful working environment for associates and support the concept of a meritocracy. These concepts unfortunately are not applied consistently by management. Producing results, supporting and promoting your associates, decision making based on quantitative information, hard work and dedication are said to be what leads to promotions. At times it is moreso who likes you and how well you can distract with vague or flowery speech. Members of management also tend to be very sensitive to direct and pointed feedback and take things personally too often. While there are multiple opportunities for advancement there are other companies out there that are better at practicing what they preach and upholding an environment of a true meritocracy.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for the results they produce and don't make it so acceptable for members of management to not follow through or be unprepared on a regular basis. The company should be more introspective and self-critical. There is a lot of talk about what/who can improve, but less practical attention to what will be done about it. Lots of time and salary dollars go into the planning process and yet more than half of the action plans go unworked only to be repackaged and rephrased the next year. That doesn't support continuous improvement. True accountability wouldn't allow for core results to be poor from one month and year to the next with little to no improvement.