GEICO - autocratic management style | Glassdoor

"autocratic management style"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dallas, TX
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GEICO as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

financially sound company with a good credit rating

Cons

regressive, outdated management style that is not sensitive to the needs of 21st century employees

Advice to Management

19th century attitudes towards employees is not a successful plan for the 21st century

Other Employee Reviews for GEICO

"Corporate Call Center, Stressful/Negative atmosphere, Belittling Managers"

Former Employee - TA I Claims Adjuster in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - TA I Claims Adjuster in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time

Pros

-Salary- At 40k starting out in the Fredericksburg area, that is really high compared to salaries with other companys.
    -No Commute
    -Great Benefits

Cons

-Call Center- need I say more? You are constantly being listened to, graded on almost unattainable expectations, worried to death by your managers if you say the "wrong" thing to a customer and headquarters might be listening to your call. I was downgraded for the silliest things, I am not a robot, I am a normal human being and customers would rather want to hear a normal person talking to them on the phone.
    - All jobs are stressful, but the fact that you are glued to a phone in a cubicle just made it worse.
    - "Low cost provider" cheap office equipment, old computers, get with the times!!
    -ALWAYS hiring-- managers and hr will tell you its because they are growing, NOPE its because people are always quitting.
    -I made the mistake of leaving my previous job to come to GEICO solely on the fact that it was a significantly higher salary. I should have really thought about what I was getting myself into. If you are thinking about getting a job at GEICO, especially in the claims department, ,really think about what the working environment will be like. You do not have any face to face contact with your customers, its an extremely stressful time for them, so they are going to be rude and impatient.The fact that your only contact with them is over the phone, they will have more...(how do I say this appropriately) "confidence" in speaking rudely to you because they will never see you in person. There is 4 months of training, but I think half of it was wasted on irrelevant topics and corny training exercises. Just teach us what the job REALLY entails, not wasted on watching 1990's training CD-ROMs.

Advice to Management

Managers take their status to a whole new level. They of course were in your shoes at one time, but many of them seem to forget to relate to what you're going through. Its like their egos blow up. Most of us just felt like a heard of cattle...

2. "Room to grow and relocate"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can start at any level and move up. It depends on how hard you work and how people perceive you (pro and con). If you take business courses you can get into a management position. You can relocate to any State they have a brick and mortar building. They encourage this and is the best way to move up.

Cons

Have to drink the cool-aid. You probably will not get anywhere if you don't. Do NOT be late or take an emergency day off. It WILL count against you. Expected to be at work no matter what--even with several feet of snow. ll management cares about is numbers not the people.

Advice to Management

Sales and service employees have lives too. Be respectful.