GEICO - Stable company to build a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

"Stable company to build a career"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fredericksburg, VA
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

culture -- friendly, supportive management and coworkers. people waive to each other in hallways and for the most part, employees seem happy at work every day. Integrity and honesty are important to the company and individuals here

career growth -- you can promote yourself within a department or move to different departments and locations at GEICO (10 main offices and a few smaller offices across the country).

Education -- tuition reimbursement is available and continuing education

Benefits -- comprehensive benefits package and multiple options for associates

Fun -- we have volunteer opportunities (like with Habitat for Humanity, Girl Scouts, and local events) and sports clubs you can join with other GEICO workers. There are celebrations in our sales, service, and claims departments regularly.

You have a set schedule! It is a call center, and GEICO is 24/7, but when you work here, you're given a set schedule and in my experience, GEICO has worked around my class schedule and I've had an easy time asking off for vacation when I request it.

I really do love my company and feel blessed to have the opportunity to work in 2 departments already in the mere 2 years I've been here. I've both made many lifelong friends here and referred old friends to work here.

Cons

you have to be dependable to keep your job at GEICO, not really a "con," but showing up for work and being on time are important... it is a call center, so customers are relying on you to answer their calls.

Other Employee Reviews for GEICO

"I have a great job with a Fortune 500 company. FML."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't do company reviews. I don't even lend credence to those that do, save a passing glance as my page is loading but luckily FIOS was running slow (which GEICO allows me to pay for, btw). I've never seen more juvenile, childish griping in my life. You want to talk pros? Start with the fact that you have a job. Not only a job, but a job in an industry that will only fail if the entire civilization in which it operates fails. Complaints about having to take meds or wear glasses? Who do you think provides the insurance benefits that would allow you to even explore these options? I pay $4 a month for Davis eye care and my entire family has health insurance for under $100/mo with a BCBS PPO; those scroundrels. While we're on the subject of health, why has no one mentioned the paid sick leave, vacation time and floating holidays we all receive? Not to mention maternity leave, emergency leave, bereavement, etc. At worst, you'll be asked to take leave without pay; you poor thing. This whole complaint board is full of people completely devoid of accountability and you should all take time out of your day to thank those around you for listening to your whining because, rest assured, no one even feels slightly sorry for you. You work for a company that pays for training, licensing, ongoing training, license renewals etc. yet you still think you deserve better? That must be why other companies are constantly banging at your door, right? I'm literally typing this post while on paid vacation. Anyone who takes time out if their day to say anything negative about their employer via Internet has effectively told you all you should no about their work ethic. Get over yourself.

Cons

The room temperature is a half degree too warm.

Advice to Management

Please excuse all the bites on your feeding hand.

"Micro managing at its worst. ( Field Adjuster)"

Current Employee - Resident Adjuster II in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Resident Adjuster II in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, stable company, profit sharing

Cons

To start with when I began this job I honestly thought I was the luckiest guy in the world, I loved it was even messed with by my coworkers for "drinking the kook-aid". I bought coloring books and GEICO swag out of my own pocket to give out since you can't stop anywhere in the company car without someone asking for it. I have been employed 8 years and have never imagined a company changing like I have witnessed GEICO change. The company has lost record numbers of associates and cares only about growth at any cost. If you become a field adjuster just forget you have a private life as there is no time for that. I was recently included in a focus group the company put together since the recent associate opinion survey numbers wee horrible. Out of the 25+ adjusters on the call no one said a word when the moderator asked for someone to give a positive about working for GEICO but when she asked for negatives it was amazing, everyone spoke at once and didn't stop. Most everyone admitted they were job hunting. Every move you make is critiqued by numerous people most of which know very little about real world claims they simply have read a book and moved up and GEICO has a way of making managers and supervisors feel like they are God, fact is this company exploded in growth so fast that a pulse was all that was required to become a supervisor or manager as they just didn't have enough people. The task and responsibilities have increased tremendously the past year alone but the core metrics and productivity has not been adjuster at all. A seasoned adjuster has $15,000.00 draft authority which means they can write a check for $15,000.00 without having it approved by anyone but supervisors will actually tell you they may check your phone records to verify you have made the calls your supposed to!! I never knew it was possible to be this miserable with a career and it makes no difference who I speak to during the day or what dept. there in they are miserable and looking for a way out. For the folks that claim to be so happy working for GEICO, I salute you! I think the new hires probably are happy because they have no idea how bad this environment is because its all they have ever known.

Advice to Management

Stop giving lip service and do something!! You have the greatest and most hardworking adjusters In the industry so treat them like it. If you want to run an efficient claims operation put the support staff back in place to do everything for a field adjuster they can so that the field adjuster or "face of GEICO" as you like to call us can see as many customers a day instead of sitting on the side of the road half of the day performing secretarial duties. Even supervisors and managers are miserable, no one gets listened to at all. This is reminiscent of working for the circus! Even our competitors tell us we have a reputation for being the most under appreciated adjusters in the country. The past 3 seminars I have attended had Bill Degrocco get up and just berate the hell out of everyone warning us he was watching our every move! And then you wonder why morale is so low? There is probably 2% of adjusters that are dishonest so why disrespect your entire staff. One of my fellow adjusters was in one of the small group break out classes that Tony Nicely (CEO) was in and when the ridiculous work load was brought up he got all kinds of pissed off and told the room that GEICO had adjusters that were able to get all there work done in a normal work day, that's GEICO's answer for everything, they always have someone that is ok with whatever is going on, never mind the other 90%! Mr. Nicely even likes to remind everyone that this job may not be for everyone. Based on the increase in number of associates that have moved on as well as those associate opinion survey numbers, I think you may be onto something Olza.