GEICO - Okay place to work under the right department | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GEICO

"Okay place to work under the right department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for younger individuals. If you're willing to move around, offices tend to open up new departments that need bodies to fill the positions. These positions will normally have low requirements so even if you're just an Average Joe who's struggling, if you're willing to move you might have a shot to move up a little faster.

Cons

Very micromanaged and a little too uptight. People have been released for using "bad language" in conversation with co-workers and HR has a tendency to ignore you when it comes to certain issues. I had an issue that took 7 months to resolve and when I spoke to a manager after 6 months of no resolution, they had no idea there was an issue...even after I was told there were several meetings between HR and management. When it comes to pay, it's good money if you're a younger person. Was making 35K at 22...but don't expect to see too much more. If you're a bit older and are looking for a 60K job, expect to work for 4-6 years to get there. If you're looking to get anywhere near 70-100K...better be ready for a long 10-20 year battle.

Other Employee Reviews for GEICO

"Management out of touch, no shortage of work"

Current Employee - Adjuster in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Adjuster in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Almost impossible to get fired...employees drop like flies from stress and being overworked. Great benefits...well they are as of 2013, lets see whats happens as we shift because of Obamacare from BCBS. Fellow employees have great spirit

Cons

Forget 40 hours a week. Have to work on your own time as the over time paid is chickensh!t and if you do claim OT it affects your overall rating. Double edged sword. Skills bleed as anyone with talent can only put up with the BS for so long

Advice to Management

Staff for the primary objective. If it is service, then we need more people on the ground. If it is price, then don't grade on service. And stop with the micro managing. Keep it up and you'll have the equivalent of 4th graders who won't make a decision by themselves.

"Claims Adjuster - Poor fit, poor environment, HORRID company!!!"

Former Employee - TA I Claims Adjuster in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - TA I Claims Adjuster in Tucson, AZ

I worked at GEICO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly cannot find any pros, except perhaps the pay. The pay was decent and was much better than I had.

Cons

They are a low-cost provider. As a result:

Horrible Chairs and Desks - Of the six people on my team, two developed back problems, one had extreme carpal tunnel syndrome, forcing that person to resign.

Carpets did not match.

Construction crews working during the day, around the agents on the phone.

Five job coaches, and five supervisors in eight months. Each person had a different POV for the most important aspect to focus on.

Inconsistent or non-existent feedback. - Was told during interview process I would be given daily feedback.

Advice to Management

When somebody struggles, it is important to ask questions as to why the person is struggling, and not say, "It is do or die time." or "You need to be perfect for now on." or "The next mistake could cost you your job."