GEICO - Stressful | Glassdoor

"Stressful"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You have job security. The benefits are great, medical and dental plans, plus 401k and having a profit sharing check in February does help. My coworkers were very friendly, and helped when they could.

Cons

The job is very stressful. It is a call center so you are glued to your chair and are expected to take call after call. The way they rate your monthly performance is not great. One simple error and you could lose the whole call. I was there for five years and I fought for this job. I come in and try my best but it was not good enough. I did not have any support from my supervisor or manager Each day is different, you never know who you will speak to. You will have policyholders yelling at you, but that is part of the job.

Advice to Management

make the job easier, to many rules to follow, missed one simple thing on a call, you miss the whole call

Other Employee Reviews for GEICO

1. "Hard work. If you excel you will be rewarded. If work hard but not in top 10% no real benefits."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay for the area which has a lower pay base than average.

Cons

Monitored in every action. Sometimes penalized for ridiculous reasons, example: unreasonable customer.

Advice to Management

Some really good qualities of hard working agents go unnoticed. Should work in some other ways to show this in ratings.

2. "Could be better, Could be worse"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner

I have been working at GEICO full-time

Pros

Decent pay
    Decent benefits
    Excellent opportunity for advancement, especially if mobile
    Decent training program
    Incentives for continuing education (SCLA, CPCU, etc.)

Cons

Good supervisors are hit or miss. This can weigh tremendously on performance as the workload could be considered to be high at times, but a good supervisor could make all the difference in a difficult work environment.
    The pay is a bit below average from what I have seen, but the opportunity to advance seems to be higher so it appears that its a trade-off.
    Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider"

I see a lot of complaints about the workload, which could be argued to be high, but the industry is all about priority and organization and I would have to say that the complaints may stem from a lack of efficiency. It is a sink or swim organization, but I do not feel that GEICO is to blame for that entirely, it is the nature of the industry.

Advice to Management

Look a bit more closely at supervision as some offices promoted quickly due to demand, but have supervisors sitting in their position running out their careers and making life very difficult for associates looking to advance