GKN - Lean on resources | Glassdoor

"Lean on resources"

Pros

New opportunities on good aerospace programs with a variety of customers

Cons

Resources to support new programs have been laid off or left to work for competitors, management only concerned with financial performance instead of customer service

Advice to Management

Obtain technical expertise to advise programs on how to perform instead.

Other Employee Reviews for GKN

1. "Manageable responsibility but you may be working alone for the majority of your placement"

Current Employee - Human Resources Development Project Leader
    Current Employee - Human Resources Development Project Leader

Pros

I was given a lot of responsibility from early on, and I had sufficient support if I needed it.
    A lot of my work was to be competed on my own but the interaction I did have with other employees helped me learn and progress.

Brand name on your CV-GKN are a large multinational company that are well respected in the engineering industry.

Cons

My manager was away on international business for a large section of my placement meaning I was often left alone to get on with work.

The office is not that social for an intern aged 20, many of the employees are in family positions meaning there is little social interaction outside of the office.

Advice to Management

Try to increase the social interaction with other employees.

Increase the work load, I often found myself at a loose end and I had to ask around for extra work to do.

"Excellent people but too lightly staffed"

Pros

Very interesting products, processes and materials. Wide customer base with interesting work. The entire crew from the floor to just below management is very talented. They will let you work as many hours as you want (including Christmas day, all day) in most cases if you need money.

Cons

Absolutely no training provided at any level, you have to ask for help from your fellow worker on any subject and they'll help you, (that's how they learned). You will become technically less sharp here because of this. Management either does not value the employees or is drowning just like the rest of us are and doing the best they can. Many of the truly talented employees don't last long knowing that they can move to better places that they can benefit and be benefited by.

Advice to Management

The layoffs do not help (except in severe useless employee cases)! If there is an employee not doing anything, talk to them, give them a project that will better them and the company until things pick up. Be honest, you can afford to keep the good ones until things pick up. Keep the floor in the know, we are all in the dark. This company is not so small that one person can just pick up the job of a laid off worker, opportunities are falling off the table as both jobs get shoddlily completed.