GNC - Good products, good people, ridiculous requirements | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GNC

"Good products, good people, ridiculous requirements"

Former Employee - Nutrition Consultant in Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Nutrition Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at GNC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great groups of people to work with at the store level
Good discount
Flexible hours
Fun industry to work in
Customers are friendly and the company truly tries to serve them

Cons

Upper management has no idea what goes on in the stores other than what their data reports
Sales expectations can be overwhelming at times
Commissioned items and items that you are required to sell are completely different things, making it hard to make a decent paycheck without your sales numbers being awful
Certain stores get little to no customer traffic, making the job very boring at times

Advice to Management

Have the upper management (Above RSD) get into the stores more often to see what the sales culture is really like. Have them spend a day trying to meet their own sales goals to see if they're on par or not. Give associates the ability to further take care of their customers and truly make sales (rather than just play knowledgeable cashier).

Other Employee Reviews for GNC

1. "Very flexible not a good career choice"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder ( Franchise Location) in Chester, VA

I worked at GNC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unsupervised
    Ability to create "tab' and pay later (Franchise store)
    Quiet because no customers come in

Cons

Pay is base line middle wage with NO raise!!
    They push you to sell sports nutrition, NDS, and vitamins
    Overpriced
    Commission during training is given to manager
    Unprofessional record keeping and stat tracking

I applied here to have a 2nd job for my spare time. I did not expect to be paid a lot but for ppl who may have no choice this would leave you disappointed. During training the manager informed me that all commission would be awarded to him until I complete training. i just did not sell anything while in training to avoid giving him money for my work. While working there the manager tracks sales frequently. He was only concerned with sport nutrition, NDS, and vitamins as told by the owner or DFO. Checking expiration dates would suck because everything else would be on the verge of expiring. I saw the manager also take samples that vendors would give away and put them on the shelves for sale. When tracking your sales I would suggest that you have a copy of your sales as well to be sure that they are not cheating you. I say this because in the store i worked in we tracked our commission on a paper with a pencil, and when a customer made a return you would have to deduct to amount from the person sheet. Sales were not that hard for me since I knew the items very well from previous experience. But when a customer would come in and see the price and ask why the price is higher, when Wal Mart is 10 steps away or Vitamin shoppe is on their way home. you will look dumb in the face.
    I would not recommend this company if you are looking for a rewarding career.

Advice to Management

Make prices compelling, huge turnover when you have a lot of competition around with lower prices.
    Focus on employee and customer satisfaction, the reward would be great.

"Easy to do hard to put up with"

Former Employee - Store Manager in New Bern, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New Bern, NC

I worked at GNC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission and hourly rate gives you a decent pay check
    Discount is good if you use the products
    Very educational

Cons

Management is overbearing and pushy
    Sales goals are near impossible to meet every week

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales associates they seem to be the only ethical ones in the company