GNC - Sales associate at franchise GNC for 2+ years | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GNC

"Sales associate at franchise GNC for 2+ years"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Milledgeville, GA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Milledgeville, GA

I have been working at GNC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to earn a decent pay for hours worked if you can get the hours. Eat at work. Work under minimal supervision.

Cons

Little training on products that require extensive knowledge to make sales. Difficult to attain the hours needed to maintain a decent living wage. Little room for advancement considering the small staff the stores operate on, employees in higher positions usually stick around in my experience. Recent changes in store policy has cut commission significantly.

Other Employee Reviews for GNC

"Worst company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at GNC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to education about nutrition, some fun people to work with, the strength gained from working for a disorganized, excessively demanding, punitive, idiotic company and surviving without getting fired.

Cons

Ridiculous and totally illogical approach to reaching sales percentage metrics combined with corporate memos that demean you for trying to make those metrics. Utterly disorganized corporate management, constantly sending updates to make corrections upon corrections until you have no idea what they actually want. Constant threat of being fired for sales percentages, ringing errors, etc., when they can't seem to get their act together. Very punitive environment that is more focused on punishment than rewards. Ridiculously low pay for the amount of stress and workload. Contradictory directions from upper management. For example, if you fail a secret shop for not offering the six specific items corporate chose to each customer you can get fired, but then they send a memo to sell the customer what they want and never come across as a salesperson. People get fired for abusing coupon numbers just so that they can make a sale, not because they want commission, but just to keep their job. I concluded after working for a manager for this company for over a year that they believe their employees will be more productive if they live in fear and stress about keeping their job. They expect managers to increase customer volume but provide no hours, resources, or any good advice. No additional hours provided to train part time employees and the small stores have very few hours available, making it virtually impossible to train new employees effectively. This company is abusive toward their employees and operates practically as a police state with secret shops, loss prevention spying on people from parking lots, etc. Their corporate management training states that they 44% "don't make it" past 90 days of employment. I hated hiring young people who were just looking for a part time minimum wage job because I knew that this company would just break their spirit. Most of my employees were fired or were forced out due to threats about sales numbers or accusations of wrongdoing. Worst company I have ever worked for in my life.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. You continue to advise employees to "sell them what they want," and that every sale, even ones that negatively affect one's key performance indicators (KPIs) should be welcome. Your memos state that you just don't get it. It's really simple: You punish and fire people for bad KPIs. Focus more on sales volume and BLY and not these silly KPI percentages.

2. "A mix of great experience but no progression"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bartlett, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bartlett, IL

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

sales experience, customer relations, product knowledge, discounts on products

Cons

Same pay for almost 4 years and have no room for promoting