GNC - For a part-time college student, it's the perfect job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GNC

"For a part-time college student, it's the perfect job."

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at GNC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, easy retail stuff like cleaning, rotation, etc. At my particular location you rarely deal with more than one customer at a time, allowing you to recognize your regulars and keeps the stress of people stealing during a rush down quite a bit. You decide how much you want to sell in order to make money. It's also nice when people come back to tell you how much they liked the product you recommended, or when regulars come back to see you specifically. A lot of your time is spent unsupervised, which means you can take frequent breaks if needed but I highly advise keeping busy! The day just goes by slow if you sit there and fart around, not to mention managers love part timers who actually do their job. (Obviously.)

Climbing the corporate ladder is easy if you actually do your job consistently and reliably.

Cons

Some stress over sales numbers. Some days, you just get extremely unlucky and everyone else gets lucky the rest of the time. The most successful people are usually quite pushy which may increase sales, but hurts the customer-employee relationship. There's actually a bit of a stigma regarding GNC salespeople in the fitness community, which damages your credibility when recommending products or trying to help people. While retail stores do have overhead, a large majority of business is lost to online retailers. This leads to customer complaints, and a feeling of helplessness as you cannot match online price.

Advice to Management

Improve your marketing to reflect new marketing techniques; start a GNC forum, have knowledgeable moderators and experts posting, consider matching online prices.

Other Employee Reviews for GNC

1. "Current employee, really slow for lower volume stores."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at GNC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get a good discount if you are into working out.

Cons

Management is really young. I feel like im in high school again with the he said she said. everyone is out to get each other, which is why theres always a high turn over rate. You only get paid half time for your overtime. If you arent in a busy store, you only make the base salary because your commission amounts to nothing.

Advice to Management

Stop being immature and handle situations on the spot.

"Worked for GNC for 6 months, and left GNC"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN

I worked at GNC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to sell some of the best products I have been using myself to others, some GNC products and some third party products, (the mens sports vitamin, creatine, and my pre-workout). It was nice meeting people, asking questions and being able to help customers understand different supplements, how to supplement, and how not to supplement.

Cons

GNC is about making KPI, (Key Performance Indicators). Selling OMS (Vitamin Chews, flavor of the month), GNC Gold Card memberships, Vitamin Sales, P3's and of course the UPT, Units Per Transaction. This is nothing new for anybody who has worked in sales. However, there is very low incentive other than a small commision on a variety of 3rd party products, and managers who remind you that KPI and UPT are more important to the success of the store than your own success. I was too educated and too mature to listen to younger managers try and lecture me about how to sell more...while I was outselling them. This was a problematic trend in the region I worked in.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your sales associates too. If you don't, the turnover will continue to result in a lack of quality customer service, or hiring people that have little or no experience in supplements, vitamins, or maintaining the importance of honesty, and people who want to work and not cut corners, or steal from a GNC store. While I worked there, there were problems with employee theft and employees that simply quit without notice, and did not enjoy their job because of poor management.