GNC - Great people to work with but stupid monthly goals | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GNC

"Great people to work with but stupid monthly goals"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at GNC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good commissions , great people to work with

Cons

Awful monthly goals, stupid donations , bored when it's slow

Advice to Management

Let's be more realistic about our sales goals

Other Employee Reviews for GNC

"I gained a lot of knowledge about supplements, but I did not enjoy the pressure placed on me"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at GNC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money (on average), ability to gain a lot of knowledge. I had many regular customers who would come in specifically I was working just so I could help them, I really enjoyed the connection I had with people.

Cons

There is just way too much pressure to meet certain quotas on products, I felt that I could not be 100% honest with the customers in order to meet the quotas or not come off as being a pushy salesmen.

You can either meet the quotas, making management happy and keeping them 'off your back' or you can be honest and unbiased, resulting in much happier customers but you will get 'in trouble'.

In my location, there is only one person at a time working with very little overlap, since I always worked the Sunday shift, I would have a lot of paper work to get setup for the week, then shipment would arrive shortly after which consisted of 35ish to 80+ boxes that I had to put up by myself (granted I wasn't punished if I didn't finish, but I was questioned every time that I didn't get as many done as they thought I should have).

We open the store at 11, shipment arrives and then you have a conference call at 11:30, by this time at our location I would have several people in the store, making it very easy to miss a conference call, and they take roll call to see if all the stores are on.

I worked for GNC for a little over a year, I left on good terms. I feel GNC will continue to grow but I think the growth will peak and then begin to drop off as customers become tired of the pushy sales environment and turnover to an online supplement company.

Advice to Management

Stop putting so much pressure on sales associates to meet quotas, these quotas are making the sales associates come off as too pushy, resulting in a bad image of GNC.

If you would like to test this, go to a fitness forum such as bodybuilding.com's forums. Either start a post containing something about GNC or search for GNC.

You will be surprised the number of people who have either had a bad experience (from pushy associates) or even will not shop there just because they do not want to be pressured.

2. "Not a bad job if you dont need money."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hanover, MD

I worked at GNC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed Atmosphere
    The opportunity to learn a lot about nutrition and various health products
    Excellent opportunity for growth if you are to go to where they send you
    Employee discount
    Being the first to know of new products coming out in the market
    Free samples of products

Cons

The pay is minimum wage.
    Sometimes the goal to sell certain GNC products as well as gold cards are very unrealistic which can cause a lot of stress.