GNC - Competitive | Glassdoor

"Competitive"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at GNC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am probably one of the few people who actually love my job. I feel as though it is a competitive environment and I am always trying to improve each day. Its nice to get paid commission and I like meeting those trying to improve their health!

Cons

I feel as though upper management expect you to hit certain goals EVERY DAY which is near impossible, even if you are at a high volume store. I do not like the fact that my job is always at risk if customers refuse to buy product.

Advice to Management

Most of the RSD and upper management creating these sales goals need to actually work in a store. Its not as easy as it may seem!

Other Employee Reviews for GNC

"Decent company, poorly ran by upper management."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discounts, free products occasionally, learn a lot, easy job, get to meet a lot of people into fitness, laid back environment.

Cons

Nothing is ever good enough, a lot of negative reinforcement, ridiculous sales goals, not very organized, always some type of promo change or price changes occurring.

Advice to Management

Get your act together upper management, I've Seen countless veteran employees 5plus years with the company just quit because of how poorly paid we are. We do a lot of work on tops of selling. We are the reason stores are still open they come to us for assistance. The promo changes need to be more organized and more well thought out

2. "Minimum wage is too low!"

Current Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at GNC part-time

Pros

Employee discount of 20%, employees are able to work different shifts/have days off for appointments

Cons

Expected to learn/know a LOT about products, commission only on certain items. Employees expected to strip & wax the floors, change lights, etc. No scheduled breaks. Standing all shift.

Advice to Management

Please pay your employees what they are worth! They aren't expected to be "clerks," but rather consultants, so why are they only paid minimum wage? The commission should be across the board- not just on certain items- to allow the associates to honestly recommend products that would best serve the customer. Instead, associates are going to always go to the "featured items" that will earn them $. Customers aren't stupid. They can tell that they are being steered in a direction that is best for the associate & not them. They may come back for more of an item, only to be steered toward a different product because their original choice no longer paid commission. Also, the RSDs micromanage, and don't let the store managers manage their stores.