GNC - Competitive | Glassdoor

"Competitive"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at GNC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am probably one of the few people who actually love my job. I feel as though it is a competitive environment and I am always trying to improve each day. Its nice to get paid commission and I like meeting those trying to improve their health!

Cons

I feel as though upper management expect you to hit certain goals EVERY DAY which is near impossible, even if you are at a high volume store. I do not like the fact that my job is always at risk if customers refuse to buy product.

Advice to Management

Most of the RSD and upper management creating these sales goals need to actually work in a store. Its not as easy as it may seem!

Other Employee Reviews for GNC

"Decent company, poorly ran by upper management."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discounts, free products occasionally, learn a lot, easy job, get to meet a lot of people into fitness, laid back environment.

Cons

Nothing is ever good enough, a lot of negative reinforcement, ridiculous sales goals, not very organized, always some type of promo change or price changes occurring.

Advice to Management

Get your act together upper management, I've Seen countless veteran employees 5plus years with the company just quit because of how poorly paid we are. We do a lot of work on tops of selling. We are the reason stores are still open they come to us for assistance. The promo changes need to be more organized and more well thought out

2. "Decently structured, yet very competitive and usually demanding as far as sales goals."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at GNC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comission is probably the best thing the company has to offer. However, most of the higher comission items are 3rd party products which are looked down upon by upper management. You can meet some great people as well and its a decent part-time or college job.

Cons

Very demanding and pushy upper management (especially the new guy in San Antonio region). It seems that they care nothing but selling GNC brand items and rarely focus on selling 3rd party products, sometimes insisting that GNC items are vastly superior to all. I have seen people who have been with the company for years lose their jobs or get demoted by being transferred to a low volume store as punishment for inconsistent numbers. A lot of the times, I've worked with individuals who used ridiculous sales techniques just to save their butts from being written up (3 write ups and you're fired). The company doesn't install cameras either; that leads to theft and a huge inventory loss, which then gets the whole store in trouble. Sales associates aren't eligible for more than 29hrs a week, as after that the company is forced to provide benefits. Very competitive environment, so if you cant stand up for yourself, be prepared to have your good sales hijacked. Also, seems like there is a lot of favoritism going on as far as who works in the better stores (at least in San Antonio area). Overall, you're treated like a machine most of the time and very rarely put in the spotlight.

Advice to Management

Go in for a full 8 hour shift and perform as well as you expect people to (this especially goes to stores who are segment B, C and D). Don't treat your employees like garbage and threaten them with losing the job. Give more clerical hours as well as overtime (the company absolutely HATES it)! Provide actual training than silly quizzes that 95% of the employees skim through just to get answers in the end and retake to get a passing grade. Reduce the amount of price changes, as its going on daily basis! Reduce your prices, there have been many cases when people were interested in certain products but they were way out of their budgets.