GSE Systems - Good company to start your career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GSE Systems

"Good company to start your career"

Pros

not so fun during work

Cons

Good company to start your career

Other Employee Reviews for GSE Systems

1. "Small company"

Former Employee - Engineer in Eldersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Eldersburg, MD

I worked at GSE Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, safe environment, relaxed for the most part

Cons

little opinion from non manager positions

2. "Balanced organization"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer III in Eldersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer III in Eldersburg, MD

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked with GSE for a little over 8 years. I'm not a member of management. I work out of our main office in Eldersburg, MD.
    I have contacts in many of the departments, including operations, finance, and R&D. We had a turnaround operation about 3 years ago, and I feel as though we have come back to health. The first year after the turnaround was tough, and we had some people leave of their own free will during that time. I think those people left because they feared for job security - a restructuring comes with uncertainty.
    I think our new management, particularly of the c-suite class, is pretty good. If asked, they acknowledge that the #1 reason why people leave is because of their boss. Some might be concerned that they pay too much attention to our stock price, but this is part of raising capital to expand the business. Some might say that they don't understand the technical aspects of building nuclear power simulators, but I say they understand the basics and are curious enough to want to know more. I must admit though, it takes a special set of education and experience to navigate legal hurdles, manage finance, manage HR, set direction for our technology, and man the helm of our organization - I don't think that a Master's degree in engineering will fulfill those needs, nor any level of experience in engineering. I don't think it's a bad thing that our upper level c-suite staff is able to delegate responsibility for the deepest technical aspects of simulators to us engineers. They have a lot of respect for us.
    I think the social connections at GSE are pretty good.
    I admit that we don't have as may group activities since we "right-sized" the company, such as soccer, but that doesn't mean that the family atmosphere is gone. I walked into a meeting of 7 of our engineers 3 weeks ago, and they were all talking about fantasy football. If I’m not mistaken, there is still a trivia night up at Oscar’s or GloryDays, though I have not gotten involved. HR sets up running\walking events in which we form teams and groups – you can walk around the organization and see that a few people still have their team banners up (on an 8.5x11 inch paper). We've got guys that go together to hit the gym. I've got a colleague with whom I go see movies - me, my wife, and him - probably about twice a month. Another colleague, his wife, my wife, and I occasionally go out to dinner, all four of us. I recently helped that colleague move into a new house. Today, I'll be going to a Halloween party hosted by a coworker, and likely there will be other coworkers there, and even some past coworkers. We’ve got fantastic comradery in my engineering group – I really look forward to seeing my teammates, and I’d like to think that they enjoy seeing me.

Cons

In response to the comment placed on OCT 26, 2017 – thank you. It upsets me that someone has been missed. I got on it right away and started interviewing some people to see what we can do. I talked with some individuals about more social programs at work. One individual highlighted that we seemed to have stopped the ping-pong tournaments. I went and talked to DB, our guy that, of his own free will, would organize the tournaments. We’ve got several new players that want to get organized, and I look forward to playing with them during that week leading up to New Year’s.
    In response to treating employees as replaceable parts – it takes at least a year to fully train an employee and it is very difficult to attempt to replace an engineer. The knowledge and analytical skills required to understand, manipulate, debug a nuclear of fossil fuel power plant simulator is not something that is taught in a formal education setting.

All that being said, I find the work engaging and interesting. Schedules are not too tight. Vacation time is adequate. Benefits are good, and the health plan isn’t requiring us to do anything skeptical, such as DNA tests – I hear some plans at other organizations are requiring their employees to do that.
    I had originally placed my name on this review, but the review was blocked -
     I had to remove my name. If you have a hunch, ask me, initials WC. I tried to place my name on this review is because my past review was accused of being fake, accused of being written by management. I also take credit for the review posted on Aug 16, 2016.

Advice to Management

Fix the picture of the CEO for GSE on GlassDoor. It's outdated.