GSE Systems - Good company to start your career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GSE Systems

"Good company to start your career"

Pros

not so fun during work

Cons

Good company to start your career

Other Employee Reviews for GSE Systems

"I like the work here"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sykesville, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sykesville, MD

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries are competitive (outlying Baltimore suburb).
    The projects are interesting and do provide good engineering/programming experience.
    Many talented programmers and engineers who are enthusiastic about quality simulations; they are key to finishing projects and keeping our long-time customers.
    Flexible work schedule and relaxed core hours.

Cons

Low employee morale. From recent comments on this site, it unfortunately appears that some people have just stopped caring.
    Customers are demanding; they are surprisingly knowledgeable about simulators and a few can be exceedingly fastidious (almost obnoxiously) regarding design specifications, even when we give some generous concessions.
    Some engineers take advantage of the loose supervision, relaxed work schedules, sick leave, and “work”-from-home policies.

Advice to Management

After consistently losing money in recent years, we have to think very differently to be a sustainable business.
    I was surprised by how many off-the-cuff, temperamental comments were here. However, I hope that an astute reader would be skeptical of a cynical review where the only positive comment is about Oscar’s which, incidentally, has been out-of-business and renamed three times since we’ve been in Eldersburg; a reminder, perhaps, of the importance of adapting? It may be worth remembering that layoffs, attrition, and health care increases were also happening before the current management.
    Still, you don’t have to love management. If you are looking for greener grass, know that things might not always be so green (company fortunes can change like the weather). Most companies face cuts at some point (e.g. oil prices affecting the engineers who went to Telvent).

"Overlooked evidence"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at GSE Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sustainable company. Huge projects coming in, with good staffing available.
    Software development group growing. New engineers coming on board. New, experienced PM bringing in outside skills, replacing dug-in PM set in old ways.
    I'm a systems engineer, and I've been here almost 8 years. There are a lot of reviews that have come out recently that are rather negative, but I would like to counter that. None of the other reviews state that we would be out of business in 1 year if Kyle and Chris had not come in. We were losing money. We had enough cash on hand to last us 18 - 24 months, and that's all. The negative comments talk about new management wrecking the company, but it was actually the old management that was wrecking the company. I love working for the new management. Finally, some accountability. Processes are being measured. Opinions are counted. Management is attentive. One of our senior managers was caught with the book "HBR's 10 Must Reads on Emotional Intelligence." They're reading it. They got the tech skills, and now they're getting the soft skills. I can really see that the top management is big into making this place great for us. I can only be patient and wait for some of my colleagues come around and see what they've really done. I think they might change their mind when the bonus pool rolls out at the end of the year - we haven't had anything like that in the past 4 years, perhaps because the old management couldn't keep us profitable with all the waste and lack of direction.

Cons

Still cleaning up after the old management. It takes years to build up our our best resource - people!

Advice to Management

I think we should have another all-hands meeting to discuss where we are now and where we will be in 6 months. Maybe we should also bring up our recovery, memories of those we have parted with, and perhaps a gentle reminder of where we would be if we hadn't made those hard choices. Those were our friends.