GameStop - Fun coworkers, okay company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

"Fun coworkers, okay company"

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of face time with customers. You get to help them and build relationships that get them coming back to your store. With the proper training (key words there) you learn some great sales skills. If you like alphabetizing this is your heaven on earth. They're also really good about harassment issues. I had to report my assistant store manager a few months ago and they didn't waste any time fixing. They let me temporarily transfer to a store of my choice while they talked to her (and they also have a non-retaliation policy so you can sleep sound that once it's settled it's settled forever).

Cons

The company doesn't care about you as a person. They don't have a set training system and rely solely on managers to train you. That's fine when you have a great manager. But when you don't you don't get the training you need in order to meet the requirements GameStop sets for you. And when you don't meet those requirements they punish you. They cut your hours and expect you to get better under more pressure, impossible expectations and less time. I'm lucky in that my latest manager is awesome at helping me improve. But I struggled constantly before he was transferred to my store because my other managers didn't care. If you don't have a strong management in your store you have little to no resources to better yourself as a worker on your own. In my experience, upper management (like district managers and higher) relies more on negative reinforcement than positive. So you've got to learn to develop a thick skin. Absorb and learn from the constructive criticism and brush off everything else.

Advice to Management

Spend a day or two in one of your trouble stores. Then you can see how to make them better. I work in the busiest store in my district (and it happens to be in the middle of the ghetto, too) and the regular rules don't apply there. We work our butts off just to keep the store together, let alone keep things up to your impossible standards. Just because they work for a super slow store in the middle of an upscale neighborhood where you don't have kids knocking shelves off the walls every other hour, it doesn't mean they're gonna work for every store you have. I'd suggest spending some time in different stores. Learn how they work and what they are actually capable of doing. And then tailor your requirements appropriately.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

1. "It has been a complete blast."

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are the best. They make each shift an enjoyable time to work.
    The manager is very understanding and helpful.
    Get to meet a lot of interesting people working there.
    The benefits you get as a gamer are amazing.

Cons

It is a very competitive environment to get hours.
    some customers are less than appreciative.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great job. Wonderful Experience. Very fun enviroment. Lots of perks including free merchandise and employee discount

Cons

The higher you get on the corporate ladder the worse they treat you. You are constantly under pressure and you are not recognized for good performance

Advice to Management

Start giving your store managers more credit for all they do. They work long hours and feel very underappreciated most of the time