GameStop - Great Company. Depends on where you work though. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

"Great Company. Depends on where you work though."

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Game Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

(Employee Discount, Insider Gaming Information, Great People, Very Laid Back Atmosphere) As a Game Adviser, my job is to talk about video games all day and help customers find the perfect games for them. I love this aspect of the job.

Cons

(Not paid well enough. Too much pressure to perform from higher management.) Since it is still essentially a retail position, of course my primary goal of the day is to sell. However, the sale of actual games don't count. Our performance is graded on how many membership cards and pre-orders that we sell. If we don't get a certain percentage everyday, our job is then threatened. Being a excellent employee won't even factor into management's decision making because at the end of the day everyone is obsessed with numbers. Lower level employees who only get paid minimum wage have no incentive to do better except for the possibility of keeping their job. This is all assuming your lucky enough to be at a store that gets adequate hours and you are able to work a minimum of 20 hours a week. If not, the job isn't worth it. Also, we don't work on commission or anything like that, so even if your numbers a amazing, the only thing you get out of it is to keep your job.

Advice to Management

The company should implement a better incentive program for lower level employees. I've found my job in jeopardy too many time because of not meeting sales goals even though they turn around and say that I am a great employee and an asset to the company.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

"Unorganized"

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team members and general interest and access to related information

Cons

Benefits, salary, company growth, and potential

2. "The bottom of the ladder"

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Fairly easy work if you are good with people and staying on task or love video games.
    -Smaller teams in stores unlike Best Buy, or large retailers.
    -If you love video games you can check out pre-owned games for a small amount of time to play them at home.

Cons

-Very few available hours.
    -You mostly work as an on call employee at any level other than management or ASM.
    -Very low pay. They will always start you close to as low as possible. In my case I started at .25 over minimum wage 3 months before minimum wage was bumped up by .50 and my wage wasn't adjusted to meet the minimum until 2 years later despite having very high ratings in all of my employee reviews.
    -Some districts have some serious ethics/moral issues. I've heard horror stories and experienced some of my own horror stories
    -It's not always as easy to get promoted up as they would like you to believe. Again I've heard and experienced many horror stories, usually if you are really worth your salt you will eventually get a much better offer from another job as long as you are consistent.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, all of the cons I've listed are not very easy fixes. Most of the people who work for Gamestop also play games but unless they are still living at home they can't afford the $60 price tag 90% of the time. Perhaps if their pay and hours were a little better and more consistent that "extra" money spent on them would go right back into the store.

However, in all honesty while there is definitely room for improvement I have also worked in far far worse situations and this has been the best job of my small career.