GameStop - Former Store Manager!!! Decent Perks...low wages...not half bad if money not in mind | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

"Former Store Manager!!! Decent Perks...low wages...not half bad if money not in mind"

Pros

Get to check out games for up to 4 days,
Yearly Conference that is paid
Tons of free things given to managers
Good place to get your retail management feet wet

Cons

Mandatory 6 day work weeks during the holidays
Insane time keeping system
High Turn Over
Overly Stressful

Advice to Management

Managers are what keep the customers flowing into the stores instead of going online. Do more to keep your managers happy. Go back to normal work weeks during the holidays. MORE PAYROLL!!!

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

1. "Poor Pay, hard work, and no respect"

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get an employee discount on certain items, and get to meet customers/employees that share a similar interest in games. If you have a SM and ASM, it can be a fun job.

Cons

The pay is terrible. I was brought on at the lowest level which was minimum wage. I got two promotions to a third key manager, my pay rose to $8.25. My responsibilities included closing/opening the store, inventory, some loss prevention, and cash control. Too many responsibilities for the pay I was receiving. Also they will avoid Overtime like the plague to avoid paying you anymore.

Upper management is a gamble - Depending on your regional and district manager, things may be good or terrible. The RM of my area a) had no interest in games, nor did he keep up with any trends, thus he wanted us to push games that we knew were not going to sell well no matter what we did. He was incredibly disrespectful to lower employees, yelling and cussing at them in the store... while customers were still shopping. Tried to get a store manager to quit because she was having a baby and I guess he didn't want to have to deal with the coverage issues that might arise.

Customers - The customer base, based on where you are located can be incredibly horrible. I had been called a number of racist slurs, cursed at, and threatened... all due to video games.

Gamestop knows there will be no shortage of people wanting to work there, so they will fire someone fairly quickly for small reasons.

Note: I was not fired, I put my two weeks in after working there for 3 years.

Advice to Management

Actually develop employees rather than making them disposable. The treatment of upper management to mid, low, and associate level employees was terrible. There needs to be a better horizontal process of performance management, with better visibility into the actions of the different levels of employees. I will say this much, out of the nearly 20 or so managers I knew from my time working there, only 2 remain, and pretty much all of them quit in the period of a year.

2. "Should be a fun job (games!) but not enough payroll and little care for employees"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will meet some of the most awesome people ever. Great co-workers. I've met so many friends from working at Gamestop.

Cons

The company expects you to do a million things with no payroll. Notice in most stores you will see one to two people working during a normal day. The company knows that many people think it's a dream job so employees are expendable. Rewards go to your store manager. Who most likely is a bad manager.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better so the good ones stay.