GameStop - Former Store Manager!!! Decent Perks...low wages...not half bad if money not in mind | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

"Former Store Manager!!! Decent Perks...low wages...not half bad if money not in mind"

Pros

Get to check out games for up to 4 days,
Yearly Conference that is paid
Tons of free things given to managers
Good place to get your retail management feet wet

Cons

Mandatory 6 day work weeks during the holidays
Insane time keeping system
High Turn Over
Overly Stressful

Advice to Management

Managers are what keep the customers flowing into the stores instead of going online. Do more to keep your managers happy. Go back to normal work weeks during the holidays. MORE PAYROLL!!!

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

"My experience was good, but for others it may vary depending on who is managing the store."

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- If you like video games, it is an enjoyable environment being surrounded by them.
    - Good chance to develop communication and interpersonal skills
    - Employees are close knit as there are usually less than 10 staff employed at a store
    - Good start if you're looking for some customer service experience

Cons

- Too much variability in management between stores. You'll meet some really good managers and some really bad ones.
    - No structured training program for line staff at the time I was hired. (2005)
    - Part time staff sometimes only get one shift a week (3-4 hour shift) due to cuts in hours.

Advice to Management

- Keep a closer eye on poorer performing stores. It may not be the line staff who are performing poorly but the manager.
    - Develop a structured training program for line staff. A lot of new employees are simply thrown into the water and do not understand customer service
    - Stop cutting hours allotted to the stores, especially larger and busier ones like mall stores. They need the hours. Less than 120 hours a week is not enough. Since the part time staff have their shifts and hours cut it will force them to look for jobs elsewhere and deter them from continuing to work for you.

2. "Poor Pay, hard work, and no respect"

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get an employee discount on certain items, and get to meet customers/employees that share a similar interest in games. If you have a SM and ASM, it can be a fun job.

Cons

The pay is terrible. I was brought on at the lowest level which was minimum wage. I got two promotions to a third key manager, my pay rose to $8.25. My responsibilities included closing/opening the store, inventory, some loss prevention, and cash control. Too many responsibilities for the pay I was receiving. Also they will avoid Overtime like the plague to avoid paying you anymore.

Upper management is a gamble - Depending on your regional and district manager, things may be good or terrible. The RM of my area a) had no interest in games, nor did he keep up with any trends, thus he wanted us to push games that we knew were not going to sell well no matter what we did. He was incredibly disrespectful to lower employees, yelling and cussing at them in the store... while customers were still shopping. Tried to get a store manager to quit because she was having a baby and I guess he didn't want to have to deal with the coverage issues that might arise.

Customers - The customer base, based on where you are located can be incredibly horrible. I had been called a number of racist slurs, cursed at, and threatened... all due to video games.

Gamestop knows there will be no shortage of people wanting to work there, so they will fire someone fairly quickly for small reasons.

Note: I was not fired, I put my two weeks in after working there for 3 years.

Advice to Management

Actually develop employees rather than making them disposable. The treatment of upper management to mid, low, and associate level employees was terrible. There needs to be a better horizontal process of performance management, with better visibility into the actions of the different levels of employees. I will say this much, out of the nearly 20 or so managers I knew from my time working there, only 2 remain, and pretty much all of them quit in the period of a year.