GameStop - Fun place to work but suffers in leadership | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

"Fun place to work but suffers in leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Grapevine, TX
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Grapevine, TX

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. Very hip and HR does a very good job of providing events and activities througout the year (like custume contests, video game release parties, etc). Very fiscally conservative.

Cons

Leadership at the time I was there was not in touch with reality. They tried to provide a vision people could get behind but execution was not there. E-commerce, where I worked, was fun but the senior management that was in place when I was only interested in justifying their existance. A bit slow to adopting new technology and communication channels

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

"Unless you plan on devoting your life to the company, don't bother."

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a discount on many of the products, which stacks if you also have the discount card, and working there offers great practice for developing your salesmanship and people skills. I don't really have any problems conversing with strangers after working here for three years. Also, some insurance is offered through the company, even to the lowest tier keyholders.

Gamestop is also a constantly growing company, and they don't like to switch staff often, so if you become a manager, your job is relatively secure, as long as you can keep up with the demands.

Cons

The lower your position in the company, the less it is worth your time. Basic part-time sales associates, or Game Advisors, start at minimum wage. Many positions start at minimum wage, but Gamestop allots so few hours for their non-managerial employees that they get about three hours a week, unless it is holiday season or the employee is great. When I was a Game Advisor, I was given priority hours over other GAs, because I knew how to do more and had slightly better numbers than the others. Even so, I still only pulled in about $125 paychecks every two weeks.

Once I was promoted after much dedication and hard work, the number of my responsibilities doubled, and the increase to my hourly salary was less than $1. At this point, I was making roughly $400 every two weeks, due to my increase in hours. Much better, but still not enough to make a living. You don't really begin seeing benefits unless you become an Assistant Manager or Store Manager, but it takes much time, devotion, and very hard work to reach these spots.

Advice to Management

For nearly every task I did at Gamestop as both a Game Advisor and a Senior Game Advisor, I understood its purpose. Offering upsales, game reservations, and discount card subscriptions are part of what helps the company thrive. Also, the amount of attention given to customer satisfaction is very admirable.

However, it seems as though not enough focus is put on employee happiness. No one can live on three hours a week. And the "Do it or we'll find someone who will" attitude is really only keeping employees from doing the best job they can. You can catch more flies with honey, as they say.

"Mixed views on a mixed company"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cadillac, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cadillac, MI

I have been working at GameStop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talk video games, have fun, good hours and benefits, decent pay

Cons

Upper management and wrong focus. Focus should be on customer service, sales, and pre-owned product, not illusionary business metrics that upper management believes matters.

Advice to Management

Take care of the customers and they'll take care of you instead of trying to take care of some quick numbers.