GameStop - Not enough hours, but a fun job while you get to do it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

"Not enough hours, but a fun job while you get to do it."

Current Employee - Game Advisor
Current Employee - Game Advisor

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good, friendly atmosphere.

Co-workers you can talk to about your hobby and become friends with.

Not very challenging most of the time.

The store manager will determine the culture, for better or worse.

Cons

Hours are scarce for part timers and getting scarcer.

Your position and hours are subtly and not-so-subtly determined by subscription and reserve numbers regardless of much else.

Pay is minimal, and you get the sense that the company at large considers you expendable.

Some part-timers aren't scheduled for weeks or months at a time. When I see them, I'm surprised they're still employees.

Advice to Management

Gamestop is trying to find it's niche in a world where games can be gotten online for cheaper. They need to focus on fewer, higher quality stores that emphasize what customers can't get online, customer service. Pre-orders and subscriptions are not bad, but they're reactive measures, not the single thing that's going to drive the future. They shouldn't be the end-all be-all metric.

Give stores a proper number of hours to staff properly.

If you're dead-set on subscriptions, pay out a commission for selling them, even if it's small. Some of us are terrible at selling the things, but the guys who do well are pretty great salesmen. They work hard for some of the sales I've seen.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

1. "Meh"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

access to games, free stuff, some fun people.....

Cons

general lack of safety, lack of hours to give to employees, high work load with very little time to do it in, some shady business practices ( some of those new games HAVE been played, by us I might add, so go ahead and ask for a discount. Really. you should. Also....why are we selling used batteries? ), the store is slowly but surely turning into radio shack, little accountability for management, unrealistic sales goals. For being a video game store, I am surprised by just how stressful the place got. OH! and those die hard fan boys....could do without them. The company products were a complete joke.

Advice to Management

maybe start looking for another job?

2. "Fantastic place to work."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Your success is your own hands.Multiple tools provided to give you every opportunity at success.Company is great at showing and remind you how vital you are to them.

Cons

There is nothing to say that would be considered a con.My only want as a manager is to have the opportunity to work with more people.Staffs are small but that just creates a drive to become a multi unit manager to have a positive influence over more employees

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.Thank you.