GameStop - Overall a great experience, poor management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

"Overall a great experience, poor management."

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Grapevine, TX
Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Grapevine, TX

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and general work environment was great. Departments work well with other departments. They prefer to hire within so the opportunities are there. Benefits are really good as well.

Cons

Management (corporate) can be straight @$$holes. And in the department I was in, management was VERY biased and promoted/terminated based on favoritism.

Advice to Management

Value your employees!

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

1. "Fun Stores Corporate Management Needs Help."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hialeah, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hialeah, FL

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun Fast Paced Environment. Ability to move up fast with good work ethics.

Cons

Corporate Management Micro Manages and does not listen to there Store Managers about issues at individual stores.

2. "Heavy workload, light wallet."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits- vision, dental and medical. 401k
    Paid time off (ie vacation days and sick time.)
    Discount of 15% off all games and accessories and preowned systems (not new)
    Selling Games

Cons

There are so many cons to this job it's not even funny. I started out as an Assistant and it took almost 3 years for me to get my own store. Upper management such as district managers and regional directors are biased and favoritism is the only way to move up. In other words, a lot of A$$ kissing is needed. Store Managers are salary and during the holiday season you're looking at 60+ hours EASY. Also, the annoyance of having to meet a daily quota of reservations and getting people signed up for the $15 loyalty card, when all you want to do is just sell a game. If quotas are not met, you will get write ups and coachings. The agonizing counting of inventory EVERY day!! I'm talking hand counting with a scanner, ever used and new system, every ipod, every big new release and every tablet. Unlike most other retailers who use companies such as REGIS. When I started work with Gamestop a few years back, it seemed like we only sold games and gaming accessories, now, in 2013, here we are selling apple products, android tablets, Net 10 sim cards and air time and the list continues to grow. No offense to gamestop, I understand in order to meet the demands of a rapidly changing society, you must embrace change but change can't happen overnight how they want it to. They immediately expect you to know everything about everything the second a new product line comes a long. I signed up to sell videogames, not cell phones. Thanks but no thanks.

Advice to Management

Very pushy and boy, do they know how to micro manage! Also, human resources is a joke, simply because I have seen so many complaints be taken to HR about the same issues and it seems like not a single thing is being done about it.