GameStop - Excellent Firm. | Glassdoor

"Excellent Firm."

Current Contractor - QA Analyst in Grapevine, TX
Current Contractor - QA Analyst in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at GameStop as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Firm to work with. Best work environment . This is the best firm I worked for in last 15 years.

Cons

None. i can think of any cons for this firm.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

1. "College Job"

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Portland, OR

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Play video games constantly, 15% discount on most things. Get to meet some good people, so the customers can be one of the better parts of the job.

Cons

The company is out of touch with its employees. Little chance for promotion, over works salaried employees.

Advice to Management

Take better care of regular employees; benefits, pay and hours would be a starting point.

"GameStop: Customer Service, You're Fired"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working around video games is definitely not a bad job to have, under most circumstances. The people I worked with, mostly, were pretty cool.

At the time of me working there, the pay was decent, and if you knew how to get sales the stress wasn't too bad.

Cons

People getting promoted, that were incredibly lazy. One person was actually fired at one point, because he refused to open his store, and re-hired/promoted to Store Manager immediately thereafter. Double standards all over the place, and generally pretty unreasonable expectations.

The store I was working in went from getting an average of about 120 hours + a week for payroll, to about 80 hours a week in payroll, with maybe 90 hours a week during the holidays. It's clear the company is more concerned about their bottom line, than they are the customers, or their employees. You can preach customer service all you want, but if you don't give the stores the hours they need, then you can't expect them to operate at full potential.

I've seen people fired for something as silly as letting customers use the restroom, when they were fairly certain they'd urinate themselves if they tried to make it to a store nearby. No written warnings, just investigated and terminated.

Advice to Management

My advice to Gamestop would be to stop talking about how much you care about your employees, and your customers, and just show it. Stop with having one manager run 2 stores, at no extra cost. Stop with giving stores the bare minimum in hours, and expecting the same sales performance. Stop taking advantage of the people that you, claim, to care about.

If you had even a little bit of respect for your people, you wouldn't have the kind of turnover you do, which by any terms for retail is appalling. You stand where you are now, but I can promise you that if you keep going down the path you're going now, Best Buy, Amazon, and Digital Distribution are going to take you down, because quite honestly when the people customers come to shop with are gone, they're going to turn to someplace that won't let them down.

It feels to me that you've lost all sight on what customer service is, in all reality, and only have sites on what the dollars look like. Customer service is about doing what it takes to keep friendly faces in your stores, people customers want to continue shopping with, and offering these faces incentive to stay. You work in a retail environment that's about fun, and you suck that spirit out of things and make people hate their jobs. Find a way to fix that, and you'd be amazed at what can be achieved.