GameStop - Great Environment, some hiccups with higher management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

"Great Environment, some hiccups with higher management"

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Athens, GA
Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Athens, GA

I worked at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compared with other retail jobs, the atmosphere and the people that you interact with are generally congenial and low-stress. Most people are happy to be shopping for video games, and most people who work in the store love games and helping customers with recommendations. The managers also recognize employees who work hard and try to improve the store beyond their normal duties, rewarding them with more hours and opportunities for advancement within the company.

Cons

The amount of hours to be divided among staff who work at a store can make it difficult to give everyone the hours that they want or need. It can also result in losing good employees because they need more hours to pay their bills. In my case, a regional manager's decision to reduce the store's employee hours resulted in my losing a promotion after I had been a keyholder for a while and quit the other part-time job I had used in combination with GameStop before the keyholder promotion. When that happened, I had to leave the company to get full-time employment.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that Regional Managers try to be sensitive to recent promotions and store employee hour ratios in their determination of hours per store.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

1. "Terrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Belle Vernon, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Belle Vernon, PA

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work some cool people and video games

Cons

High turnover rate, forces you to hound/annoy customers, no hours, poor pay

Advice to Management

My hours over the course of about a year and a half working there were continually cut from over 30 hours a week down to 15 or less a week. This after I was promoted to the management team. They force you to hound and pester every customer that walks in the door. They treat you poorly. The employees take all the blame for their failing business model. Managers are being fired left and right due to them trying to downsize. In the year and a half that I worked there, I had 2 different store managers and 2 different assistant managers. I worked with over 15 different people due to people constantly quitting or getting fired every couple months. I would not suggest to anyone to apply there. Worst company I've ever worked for.

2. "awesome company if you want to grow in retail"

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

high commitment to gaming
    great career opportunities

Cons

hard work and tough hours at times

Advice to Management

keep pushing forward on digital and mobile