GameStop - Expected to run the store almost single-handedly, never enough hours. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

"Expected to run the store almost single-handedly, never enough hours."

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Cartersville, GA
Current Employee - Game Advisor in Cartersville, GA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can look at video games all day.

Cons

Customer service is a trial, the company only really operates during the holiday season, otherwise it remains comatose.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Brookhaven, MS
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Brookhaven, MS

I have been working at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work, able to rent games.

Cons

There were a few issues with other employees.

2. "Do not work here"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

:Discount is nice
    :Assuming your'e in a higher income area, the customers are nice
    :Coworkers can be fun to be around
    :Assuming you like games, being around them is always interesting
    :Working midnight launches from time to time is fun
    :Mall stores (Aside from the Mall of Amarica) are more fun/safer to work in

Cons

:Hours are never regulated which can make having any kind of personal life hard
    :Anything above a part time position is beyond hellish.
    :Worked with the company for 6 years, as an ASM (Assistant Store Manager) I was regularly forced to work 60-70 hour weeks while only getting paid for 40.
    :Store managers are paid on salary (equivalent in my area to around 15-16 dollars an hour (minimum in my state is 7.65 I think)). And assuming they don't make their ASM do it, will work 70 hour weeks on a regular basis.
    :Assuming you work in a low income area, you're customers can become rather rude/violent
    :Not a pleasant place for females to work, with scrutiny from customers all the way up to management as far as knowledge and ability to work.
    :District managers never visit a store more then once to twice a year, and will flood the personal Email Inbox of employees with work related emails, which is against policy.
    :Working midnight launches as management is beyond hellish and will often lead you to working from 12PM to 1AM, and then oping the store the next day.
    :Cusotomers very often do not understand that this is a job and not "Fun time with games all day". You will work, and dealing with customers who don't understand how a retail outlet works is the most frustrating.
    :The non-commissioned, sales driven workplace will NOT work for most people. You ether force reserves and magazine subscriptions on people, or you will lose your job.
    :Very rarely is training done properly.
    :Hours are never divided according to work skill, but instead by sales
    :Very rare to see anyone outside of a white male in my state behind the counter, and have heard more then my share of employees being fired/not hired for race, or size.
    :Worked in "The youngest store" in the state, nobody in the store was above the age of 23. Seems to be the going age of most people working in the company. Which also means that almost anywhere you go there will be some form of workplace drama.
    :Worked in a female dominated store (3 to 2), and had to play bodyguard more often then I'd like to admit to creepy, and borderline stalker customers.

Personal note:
    Store managers will receive free gifts that more often equate out to a few thousand dollars worth of goods while the rest of the staff never see a thing. Not only does that seem ill proportioned (more so since the ASM's more often work just as long and hard if not more so), but feels like a really crappy way to almost launder goods, sense more often then not the SM's will trade it in almost instantly.

I wana clarify that I'm not a bitter ex-employee, but am just trying to put out the stuff that nobody really talks about once they leave.

Advice to Management

ASM: Contact DM if Store managers are making you work over 40 without pay. DO NOT TIME CORRECT YOURSELF TO ANY OTHER EFFECT! The SM will not help you and the DM can't do any thing if you edited your time to say otherwise.
    SM: Don't over work your staff or they will find another job leaving you to work 80 hour weeks while trying to find a replacement.
    DM: Go into your stores more then once to twice a year and make sure management is doing what they need to be.