Gameloft - Good to work for while | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gameloft

"Good to work for while"

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Gameloft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

less pay for developer position

Other Employee Reviews for Gameloft

"Interesting challenges, amazing people, need better resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Gameloft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly talented team. Really top-notch and nice/friendly as well. I will always be grateful to have them as friends. Beautiful studio with a really fun atmosphere. So many good times I've lost count. And I don't know why some people have said that you can't move up unless you are French. That is not true.

Cons

Mandates from HQ hampered this studio early on, though improvements have been seen everyday thanks to the vigilance of the department leadership within the studio. Crunch has been brought down to a minimum. Day to day remaining issue is slow /limited access to high quality tech and financial resources needed to get the work done. Turnover in the tech department has caused hardships due to hiring of people who are not committed to quality work.

Advice to Management

Pleaes respect the experience and skill of the people you have hired. Communication and transparency are poor and those serious issues must be improved. Invest in quality technology and provide to each department what they tell you they need to do their work.

"troublesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Gameloft full-time

Pros

the coworkers in New Orleans are awesome, it is a fun location, and who doesn't want to work in video games? There are some good people at this studio.

Cons

The one decent thing that I would have said about this company is that it is stable, but even that can no longer be said. We just lost about 10% of our workforce in a round of layoffs; right after throwing the team a party because a project that would have folded under one of GL's other studios has been making more money than ever. Who lays people off when they are making more money than ever on a project? Now, after being told this was a secure job, we all have to fear for our careers.

After this I would not be surprised to see this place hemorrhage employees faster than it can get them. They have a tax deal with the City of New Orleans that relies on retaining workforce and growing. When they loose the tax break for failing this I would not be surprised if the studio closes down.

Advice to Management

You don't have exciting projects to work on. You no longer can claim to offer stable jobs. Many people took a pay cut because they wanted to support your studio when it was new. Since then all that you could attract for regular staff positions were inexperienced staff, often straight out of college, who leave once they have enough experience to get something better. I'm leaving once I can find something new. Almost everyone in the office knows that you are living off the city's tax incentives, but if you keep loosing people you won't have those any more.

It is a lot cheeper to retain an employee than hire a new one. Heck, considering how much your studio needs to grow you should be begging people to stay, not laying them off. We needed those people

Gameloft Response

Oct 30, 2013 – Recruiter

Staff reduction choices made by Gameloft to let go of three employees in the New Orleans studio during that time were not layoffs but performance-based. It is paramount to our success is that every... More