Gander Mountain - Its all about Metrics | Glassdoor

"Its all about Metrics"

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will work and meet a ton of great people, vendor product training and discounts are very good.

Cons

All you hear about is Credit Card,Summit Plans and Pro Plans. The fun of talking with customers and selling things they love is gone for the most part. Customers rush in and grab what they need and don't really want to deal with associates because they know they will have Credit, Summit etc. shoved down there throat. Companies replenishment system is a joke, you receive things you don't need but not the things you do. You ask not receive certain product but it still comes in, you transfer it out and it comes back. Corperate tells you the issue is fixed and six months later it happens again.

Advice to Management

Have the right product for each location, instead of having the same product for every store in the country for the most part. Let associates have fun selling product instead of worrying everyday if they are going to have a job or not because they didn't get enough credit cards or protection plans. Purchase a new replenishment system instead of building and remodeling stores, fix what's broke instead of adding more stores so they can have the same problems that never seem to go away. Give the stores more payroll so things can actually get done in a realistic time frame.

Other Employee Reviews for Gander Mountain

"Behind the scenes"

Pros

You get a pay check

Cons

Your just a number doesn't matter who you are, upper management does not care about there employees and will never trust there employees. If you work there you have to walk on egg shells

Advice to Management

If you want to not have a job get into the management.

""Where do I Start""

Current Employee - Firearms Sales
    Current Employee - Firearms Sales

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My fellow employees who have been around a while are great
    Most of the customers are happy to shop here
    Some employee perks, but there aren't many any more

Cons

The Company forces us to "sell" their Credt Card by far the worst % rates in retail 16.99-23.99% who wants this card at these rates??? It gets old having people laugh at those rates. Pro Plan on Fire Arms the company used to want 25% conversion now its up to 40% conversion. are you kidding me!! A small percentage of our customers are fool enough to get the plan the rest know that the gun makers 99% of the time will cover repairs. The one great thing we had was a gunsmith who by the way was paying his over head and is now gone. We went from 117 gunsmiths to 17 "Regionally"placed gunsmiths. Oh our customers loved this move.
    Then we went from Jeans to Kahkis , are you kidding me we aren't Target.
    Somewhere down the line someone was offened by the taxidermy around the store so we had to move it to all but the hunting department wall. Are you Joking we are a HUNTING/FISHING/and CAMPING store are we not???
    This store was great when it opened but all I've seen since then is the company taking more and more away from its employees.
    Store looks like a warehouse very old!!
    Have the buyers actually order what we need and are out off not send us 30 more of something we already have 40 of. You would think this is an easy concept but every truck day the buyers manage to send crap we don't need!!!
     OH BEST OF ALL- thanks for taking away our ability to do special orders frm Bill Hicks so many people are very upset that we no longer offer this. This separated us from alot of our competition but now we may as well be a Sportsmans Warehouse or Bass Pro. That special order put us on top of every chain store in our area. Now we are all EQUAL!

Advice to Management

You guys have really messed up a good thing!!
    The Store Managers need to be pro active and not just walk the store looking lost.
    The Hard/Soft Line managers do all the work.
    Nobody gives a crap about numbers when the only people who see a bonus is the management team.
    The only "bonus" incentive is this new lost prevention incentive that really comes down to ratting out other employees. Nice!!!
    Mr Pratt why don't you sell Three Forks and put the money into the company after all its a high end hunt that all but very few of your employees could ever dream of hunting at.
    Nice Elitism !!!!
    What HAPPENED!!!!!!
    we need changes with in our stores not more stores!!!