Gannett - Great | Glassdoor

"Great"

Pros

Fleible schedules, freedom to express

Cons

salaries, day to day events

Advice to Management

none they are doing a wonderful job and i respect the leadership at gannett. it is a great company to work for.

Other Employee Reviews for Gannett

"Watch out when next recession hits!"

Pros

A fine place to work, if you are among the few at company headquarters or USA TODAY. No expense is spared there, with wonderful working conditions and brick-and-mortar surroundings, while the little people are squeezed dry in the hinterlands.

Cons

Gannett's true colors came out during the recent recession, with people almost gleefully fired. At my paper, we endured multiple rounds of layoffs when we already had too few workers to handle the load. One day the top local exec told the survivors that the "worst was over," and no more layoffs were anticipated. A few weeks later, a buffoon showed up from Gannett central, called a hasty staff meeting and told us the paper was being closed for good and we would all be fired. We learned he'd stopped off to fire us on the way to a celebrity golf tournament in California. The severance package was a joke by U.S. corporate standards, and older employees with the most years of service received comparatively worse packages. Did I mention that Gannett froze the sick time of seasoned employees and some lost more than a thousand hours with zero compensation? Gannett may be barely tolerable during good times, but get ready to bail at the first sign of jobs trouble. Better yet, find an employer that exhibits a shred or two of humanity.

Advice to Management

There's nothing I can say to Gannett management that it has not heard for years from legions of employees and has ignored.

"Nice to work at ... when newspapers were relevant."

Former Employee - IT Analyst
    Former Employee - IT Analyst

Pros

The people were great. I was exposed to a diverse set of technologies.

Cons

No training, No Money, Getting furloughed while the top execs made bank.

Advice to Management

Train your people, invest in your people and you will retain them.