Gannett - Loved my local site, unfortunately Corporate hates us. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

"Loved my local site, unfortunately Corporate hates us."

Current Employee - Web Producer in Elmira, NY
Current Employee - Web Producer in Elmira, NY

Pros

I loved working at my local paper. We had a great staff of dedicated people who really care about the community - most of us either grew up there or had lived there for years.

Cons

Watching a competent and caring staff decimated by decisions made at Corporate headquarters. I survived 4 layoff rounds before getting the ax myself. The choices made about who to cut made no sense whatsoever. Job performance, dedication, institutional knowledge just didn't matter. Employee moral was sacrificed time and again in the interest of saving money and pleasing stockholders.

Advice to Management

Stop bleeding your employees dry. They're the ones who most want to save the company. Let them save their paper. The company can be saved site-by-site, not from the top down.

Other Employee Reviews for Gannett

1. "Ct to the chase, change the business model"

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

You gain opportunities to shine and perform. The opportunity to do good work is entirely on your own shoulders. There is time to pursue projects and initiatives you feel are important and could lead to something big, but you have to fight fiercely for them all the time. The expectation is that you will produce work, and they will take as much work as you will give. However, you have to understand that at the end of the year, the real focus is on quality, not quantity.

Cons

There is little direction, feedback, encouragement or reward. You have to do what you can and then gain satisfaction from that.

Advice to Management

Realize that there will be no way to save the newspaper industry. This slow bleed is just going to result in a death in the end. Why not cut to the chase, change the business model and beat the rest of the industry to it?

2. "-"

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

Pros

There are some great, smart people who work for this company. They just need a chance to do what they are good at.

Cons

No strategy, too focused on growth through cost cutting.

Advice to Management

Lead, have a vision....communicate it, then execute it. Stop cutting costs without a plan.