Gannett - Loved my local site, unfortunately Corporate hates us. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

"Loved my local site, unfortunately Corporate hates us."

Current Employee - Web Producer in Elmira, NY
Current Employee - Web Producer in Elmira, NY

Pros

I loved working at my local paper. We had a great staff of dedicated people who really care about the community - most of us either grew up there or had lived there for years.

Cons

Watching a competent and caring staff decimated by decisions made at Corporate headquarters. I survived 4 layoff rounds before getting the ax myself. The choices made about who to cut made no sense whatsoever. Job performance, dedication, institutional knowledge just didn't matter. Employee moral was sacrificed time and again in the interest of saving money and pleasing stockholders.

Advice to Management

Stop bleeding your employees dry. They're the ones who most want to save the company. Let them save their paper. The company can be saved site-by-site, not from the top down.

Other Employee Reviews for Gannett

1. "Ct to the chase, change the business model"

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

You gain opportunities to shine and perform. The opportunity to do good work is entirely on your own shoulders. There is time to pursue projects and initiatives you feel are important and could lead to something big, but you have to fight fiercely for them all the time. The expectation is that you will produce work, and they will take as much work as you will give. However, you have to understand that at the end of the year, the real focus is on quality, not quantity.

Cons

There is little direction, feedback, encouragement or reward. You have to do what you can and then gain satisfaction from that.

Advice to Management

Realize that there will be no way to save the newspaper industry. This slow bleed is just going to result in a death in the end. Why not cut to the chase, change the business model and beat the rest of the industry to it?

"With the economic climate in journalism, this isn't a good place to work right now."

Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Saint Cloud, MN

Pros

I enjoy what I do and get to do it in a place I want to be. That the company that allows me to work where I do happens to be Gannett was coincidental. A real positive is that there are advancement opportunities within the place I work and within the company, which is huge and has locations all across the United States. If you are looking to move to different parts of the country, there are opportunities. Gannett is not against good people moving to other locations and moving up the chain. It is easily the company's greatest asset.

Cons

We don't have much local control over important issues and decisions. Those are made in Virginia, where the corporate offices are located. The pay is not great. It is universally accepted that you can make more working outside of Gannett. Benefits, which where once above average, are barely adequate to below average. Gannett hasn't offered a pension plan to employees like myself in years. It recently froze the ability for long-time employees to build on their pension funds. As for management, it is apparent that no one at my site is really making the truly important decisions. It seems like everything is coming from corporate headquarters and the top managers here are simply passing along the information. It's a shame, really, because it throttles some talented people from handling things.

Advice to Management

Don't micro-manage. Allow good people to do good work. Don't think that because it works in Northern Virginia, it is necessarily appropriate for the rest of the chain. Get realistic expectations about profits in what is an extremely difficult media market. Rebuild trust. Make it imperative that good journalism is the top priority. The feeling around here is that profit always has been No. 1, not the product.