Gannett - Toxic Work Environment | Glassdoor

"Toxic Work Environment"

Former Employee - Photojournalist
Former Employee - Photojournalist

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's better than unemployment, but not much. This sentence is just to meet the minimum word requirement.

Cons

Where to start? Here goes, in the order I thought of them: I worked my tail off and took on many additional responsibilities that others in my job did not. My additional compensation for doing so was $0.00. Massive amounts of layoffs made everybody fear for their job. My station was stuck using cameras that were much older and far less reliable than those at competing stations. There was constant talk of the company not being financially solvent, yet the former CEO got a golden parachute worth more than $30 million and included access to a country club (he retired partly due to back issues, yet he can still somehow play golf???). Corporate tries to implement a one-size-fits-all solution to all of their LOCAL NEWS stations across the country. Morale was terrible and many talented people left as a result.

Advice to Management

I think this will equate to talking to a brick wall, but here goes anyway: Pay your employees more and give annual raises. Give stations more autonomy in their editorial direction and allocation of resources. What works in one market might not work in another. You keep placing a huge emphasis on station websites, so hire more people to maintain them.

Other Employee Reviews for Gannett

1. "Go elsewhere"

Pros

Reasonable pay .. at least if you got in when times were good.

Cons

Depressing work environment. Too much corporate oversight of individual properties leading to terrible community newspapers. Too many managers worried only about writing reports for the corporate headquarters. The company is in a tailspin and management has responded with pointless initiatives that do nothing to address the company's real troubles. No commitment to real journalism. It's all about the cash and there's not much to go around these days.

Advice to Management

This company needs a complete restructuring from the top down. Sadly, there's little the current top management can do ... unless the CEO and all major players are willing to replace themselves.

2. "No!No!"

Pros

you could have a very nice lunch outside by the pond..only if you wouldnt work that much and take an hour break to enjoy the nice days..only if..

Cons

Almost no benefits..I am paying around $120 for my health insurance per month..sounds like a joke right..but its true...and others are the same way..i wonder if the company ever contributes anything..i dont want to even mention how low their salaries are..you barely can survive througout the month..

Advice to Management

They need to re consider the value of the employees and change the benefits +salary that they provide to them..