Gannett - Low morale, pay and sense of hope. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

"Low morale, pay and sense of hope."

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good entry-level position to pay the bills until you find a real job. Its journalism and design related, so it looks better on a resume than working at Starbucks (although Starbucks probably pays better).

Cons

As a Graphic Artist at the Indianapolis GIADC, I have come to realize that this is where hope goes to die. Don't expect to be valued as an employee or individual – its all about the bottom line. The title "design center" is an absolute joke, with no emphasis on creativity or pride in one's work. The turnover rate is extremely high as no effort is made to nurture current employees and encourage growth. The standard for new hires is becoming lower and lower – the last batch looked like they were recruited in a methadone clinic. Needless to say, design ability and technical skills are no longer a priority here. The starting pay is embarrassingly low. Management often plays favorites and doesn't care to interact with 70 percent of their employees. My direct supervisor literally couldn't remember my name a year into working here, despite me having to remind her EVERY SINGLE TIME. Weekly "standup" group meetings (which should ideally be used to motivate) have turned into glorified complain-fests from management. Raises based on performance are absolutely out of the question. Despite consistently exceeding company standards and receiving nothing but positive feedback, I have only received one 20 cent per hour raise after several years. In addition, expect your hours to be reduced at a whim with mandatory furloughs, with no consideration to how this would affect a household's budget. Company-wide no one at Gannett feels job security. Rumblings of layoffs are constant – this ship is clearly sinking and there are not enough lifeboats.

Advice to Management

Attempt to encourage and develop talent. Try to create some kind of positive office culture. Offer performance-based incentives and raises. Create a more collaborative, team environment. Take the time to learn something about direct reports (including their names).

Other Employee Reviews for Gannett

1. "Not a great place to be"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Gannett part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They dont hire quality people

Cons

No benefits for part time

Advice to Management

Better start training your help

2. "the job is Intense but pays off"

Pros

very friendly work environment - I had fun at work

Cons

work load is very stressful