Gannett - Working for Gannett is a journalist's dream...right after a Pulitizer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

"Working for Gannett is a journalist's dream...right after a Pulitizer"

Current Employee - Copy Editor/Designer in Monroe, LA
Current Employee - Copy Editor/Designer in Monroe, LA

Pros

The opportunities for career growth are exceptional and I appreciate the freedom I have with moving around the United States at different Gannett publications. The benefits are great, the management at my newspaper is very comforting and accepting of societal differences (I moved 1100 miles to work here) and they have been nothing if not professional, helpful and courteous to me. They helped me find a place to live, direct me to local services and have been completely professional about it all. I feel happy to go to work and I work in a comfortable and non-threatening environment, which I absolutely love. I wish to spend my career with Gannett.

Cons

As with most journalism jobs, the hours can be long and the job doesn't pay a ton of money. In fact, I'm hourly, and even though I work at least 40 hours every week, I would be more comfortable in a salaried position. I wish I had more flexibility with my days on and off. I also wish that there had been more of an orientation when I began working, rather than just being thrown into the job 100 percent. I wish there wasn't so much emphasis on sports at my newspaper, but I think that is just the belly of the beast down south, and I can accept that.

Advice to Management

I would advise them to provide more training for new hires and for their human resources people to help with a long-distance transition more than they did for me. While I received much help, I am now stuck in a bad neighborhood apartment at the recommendation of an HR person who could've helped me avoid this situation.

Other Employee Reviews for Gannett

1. "Great company, takes care of it's employees."

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Lansing, MI

Pros

The people are great and that makes for a great product that we put out. Vacation and sick leave are both substantial for full-time employees. Having a choice of health plans is also a great incentive. Rewards are given out monthly to top performers for various deeds. There seems to be a strong plan in place for moving along with the flow of technology and to keep us from becoming obsolete. Video and blogs on the web site help to keep up with current trends and allow the readers to have an instant voice. In this day of instant information that is a key thing.

Cons

Unfortunately, like most companies, it is struggling right now in this state.

Advice to Management

To keep lines of communications with employees open during these difficult economic times.

"Cozy at the beach"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Melbourne, FL

Pros

I've been at the beach for six years now and while the business is challenging the company is at least attempting to make things better. It's a tough economic environment, as it seems we have a lot of challenges, but at my level and in my job management has been good and reasonable. It is a company with a wealth of promotional opportunities, locations in lots of great places, and in my humble opinion some very fine managers.

Cons

Business is not like it was in the heyday, so we are always looking for ways to cut on the expense site and find new revenue. It's hard, because the advertising environment is difficult. But in my role at my location it's okay.

Advice to Management

Fine some new business! Continue the digital strategy, it's the future. Make sure we have a future And tell us what is going on.