Gap International - Great place for personal and professional growth, loved working there! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gap International

"Great place for personal and professional growth, loved working there!"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Springfield, PA
Former Employee - Management Consultant in Springfield, PA

I worked at Gap International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NATURE OF WORK: the work that the company does is highly interesting (it's not advisory business services like some other consulting firms, but revolves around the psychology/mindsets of extraordinary performance in business) and young associates get exposure to very high level executives from various industries. Personally, I loved client exposure, because the type of executives who work with Gap tend to be both extremely driven and open-minded. Moreover, every associate is involved in numerous areas (internally and externally with clients) which means that the work is quite diverse and rarely gets monotone.

CULTURE: the company is all about personal growth and you are expected to constantly challenge yourself. There is a lot of training and you would never be penalized because you feel like you do not know how to do something - everyone is extremely supportive. The executives actively seek to mentor and coach the associates which I found very helpful. Above all, the culture is highly entrepreneurial - you are not only allowed, but also encouraged to get involved in areas that interest you. For instance, I was interested in a couple of projects in the Marketing department and asked to get involved, which was met with great support (I had no previous experience in marketing). This gives you agency over your development.

PEOPLE: I loved the people with whom I worked. I left the company because I wanted to go to graduate school, but I was actually very sad to leave my colleagues who were just really awesome people.

Cons

PROCESSES: the company is growing very fast which means that some processes that were sufficient previously are no longer so and this sometimes creates bottlenecks. However, it seemed to me that the executives were constantly working on addressing such bottlenecks.

PERSONAL VS. WORK LIFE: not a "con" per se and it was not at all a problem for me, but it was an issue for people who did not enjoy working at the company – the culture is such that the lines between personal life and work blur a little at Gap. People get to know each other very well on a personal level. If you hate talking about your personal life, this might be an issue for you. Personally, I actually really liked the personable culture and retain great friendships even after leaving the company.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the company's fast growth does not dilute the culture. Upgrade processes to avoid frustrating bottlenecks.

Other Employee Reviews for Gap International

"Great for someone who wants a career but can't choose one"

Former Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Gap International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You get to do whatever you want in the company as long as your prove yourself and hit your extraordinary outcomes
    - You learn how to resolve conflict with others in a responsible and mature manner
    - You get the opportunity to travel around the country and world, but expect to go to bed at midnight and wake up at 5am
    - You get a lot of coaching

Cons

- Was somewhat cult-like, it felt like once you were in, you were in for life, and it was very difficult to get out
    - Don't expect to hit your goals, they are in place to make you feel inadequate and like you have to give your entire life to the company
    - The company doesn't believe in work-life balance, just outcomes in your life
    - The salary is not enough to live comfortably and pay back student loans, in fact, you may need a job on the side
    - You find yourself talking in the language that the company uses internally and with clients so do not expect to be understood by anyone who works outside the company. No one outside of Gap really wants you talk about how much you feel, if you're aligned, or if you had a breakthrough recently.

Advice to Management

- Be yourselves and stop striving to be just like Pontish.

"A place to push yourself and grow"

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gap International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers profound and authentic support for my success.
    The opportunity to travel the world and make significant impact with executive teams and their results. You are the only one that will stop your growth, expansion and learning. Because I am supported in living our values, my family also wins.

Cons

Giving yourself fully at work - is not for everyone. Sometimes having to be responsible in places of my life I don't want to be is uncomfortable, but I am always happy in the end.