Gap - If you're willing to work hard and put in a lot of effort, it can be very flexible and rewarding. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gap

"If you're willing to work hard and put in a lot of effort, it can be very flexible and rewarding."

Current Employee - Work Hard, Earn A Lot in Bloomington, MN
Current Employee - Work Hard, Earn A Lot in Bloomington, MN

Pros

If you work hard, keep your head down, pay your dues, and kiss butt a little bit it will earn you a lot of respect and management will be much more willing to schedule you according to when you want to work. I have a second job and have stayed here because of this reason. Once you pass the 90 day mark, you become difficult to get rid of.

Cons

The pay is not so great, no benefits, and sometimes the schedule is absolutely ridiculous--if you work at a flagship store.

Advice to Management

Try to condense employee hours so that 2AM closes aren't a common occurrence...just schedule more people at one time.

Other Employee Reviews for Gap

"Worst Job Ever!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA

Pros

You get a great discount on the clothes, and the other sales associates were very nice and friendly.

Cons

Total disorganization and chaos! This is possibly the worst job I've ever had, and I've been in corporate all of my life, in manager/supervisor/director positions. I took a "holiday sales staff" job to earn some money while I am job searching, so I was clearly over-qualified for the job, but thought it would at least be fun to be able to socialize with customers and assist them with shopping. Instead, I have never witnesses a more poorly executed hiring and training process in my life. It was a textbook case of "what not to do when hiring for retail."

Other than watching a 2-hour "training" video, I received no training -- not even on the cash register. The manager never entered me into the work email system, so I kept missing emails telling me to come into work. The only person who ever complimented my work and noticed that I was selling a lot of kids' clothes was another sales associate. But the Gap doesn't pay commission, and the only sales goals I could report was on how many pairs of denim I sold. So everything else didn't count. The store manager was too busy to care, and he stopped staffing me, so I quit. My direct deposit never kicked in, and the store manager never called me to say that he had my paycheck at the store. I had to hunt it down, and it took weeks for me to receive my final paycheck.

Advice to Management

Train your store managers in how to support and cultivate their employees. Store managers represent the Gap brand. Employees represent the Gap brand. Don't ever give any employee a reason to not LOVE the Gap brand! It is the store manager's job (and assistant store managers) to make sure new employees have the tools and training they need to succeed in their job. If the employees don't succeed, the manager does not succeed, either. And be willing to pay to have enough sales associates on the floor. It is impossible to keep the store tidy during "rush hours." After working the Kids' section just a few times, I figured out that the "rush hour" for the Kid's department was between 2pm - 5pm, when moms pick their kids up from school and run errands, e.g. go to The Gap for new clothes. So if I could figure that out after just a few times working there, the managers should have figured it out and added more staff to the Kids' section in the afternoons. This is not rocket science! But, they didn't have the budget for it. So, OK, the store will look like a mess, then.

2. "Great experience overall, wish they would pay more!"

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great people, fun environment at times!

Cons

Horrible crappy business. Some merchants are idiots who think they are holier than thou. Ttoo bad the product is not good and business is terrible!