Gap - Great experience, no career path | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gap

"Great experience, no career path"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of very talented people working at the Gap's GID division. There is great energy there. The build system is just beautiful. The technology stack is pretty good. And they really love Agile and quick delivery. The work / life balance is wonderful. Most people cut out at 5.

Cons

Unfortunately, the division has been focused on quick wins for too long and have dug a hole for themselves that will be very difficult and costly to get out of. There is a lack of cohesion for their platforms and working in several different offices has push the architects even further away from the code they are making decisions about. Also, there is no career path, unless you want to stay for 10 years.

Advice to Management

Glenn has some great ideas and seems to have his finger on the pulse of the company. His vision seems to get seriously diluted when it comes down the technology groups. Middle management is just focusing on delivery instead of maintaining a platform that can support growth, change, and evolution.

Other Employee Reviews for Gap

1. "It was a really bad experience."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% discount off regular priced items, and that's really about it. Oh, and the store was only 15 min away from my home.

Cons

Lack of employees in the store working 90% of the time, and all the work falls on you. How are you supposed to run fitting rooms, cash register, help customers, answer calls, fold clothes, do go-backs all by yourself, or with one other employee who seems to not want to do anything? And then you get in trouble for not doing something or finishing something. Um, excuse me, I can't be in three places at once. Poor training, I don't feel it was thorough enough, and I wasn't trained to do certain things, and had to teach myself, and if I asked the manager for help, she would say "oh my god" under her breath, and give me an attitude or a problem, and say bad things to me in front of the customers. Don't hire people if you're not willing to help them!! You're not being a good manager! Don't think the problem is me, when you said a lot of people keep leaving the job, and they don't stay long, and you have a high turnover rate! I really didn't like the way I was treated at The Gap. The same manager would engage in gossip with employees about other employees and customers! I don't like feeling like I'm stupid. Don't talk to me any kind of way.The pressure to sell Gap Cards is annoying. I really don't want to come into work, and keep talking about a Gap Card. What about the other aspects of a clothing store? They talk really long in your ear piece on the walkie-talkie and you can't hear anything else.
    really weird, strange hours. I had a lot of on-call hours, and was called in a lot on my days off, or asked to come in earlier at times when I wasn't able to (and I stated the hours I can work) short breaks.
    The other reviews pretty much hit all the points.

2. "A great place to work."

Pros

Work/ life balance, smart people, great culture, community giving.

Cons

Organizational design can make cross brand communication difficult.