Gap - I'm probably a "lifer". Great company, it would take something drastic for me to leave. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gap

"I'm probably a "lifer". Great company, it would take something drastic for me to leave."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boise, ID
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Gap full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee recognition programs / rewards. Competitive pay and bonuses. Quality products with loyal customers you can get to know. Gap inc is very socially responsible, celebrates the LGBT community passionately, and does fun and quirky things for the employees. I really like the "best practices" that keep things running smoothly. There's always a specific way to do something and by following the companies best way of doing it, stores stay operationally sound and profitable. And lastly, great benefits and Paid Time Off. Much better than other retailers.

Cons

As with all retail, the holiday season is exhausting. Payroll can be super tight during slow times. Gap inc customers tend to want / expect more from employees compared to brands. Annual raises are average, and can be affected by company performance

Advice to Management

Stay in tune with stores and what actually works. Plans on paper may look great but sometimes are disconnected with reality, visit stores more.

Other Employee Reviews for Gap

1. "It was a really bad experience."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% discount off regular priced items, and that's really about it. Oh, and the store was only 15 min away from my home.

Cons

Lack of employees in the store working 90% of the time, and all the work falls on you. How are you supposed to run fitting rooms, cash register, help customers, answer calls, fold clothes, do go-backs all by yourself, or with one other employee who seems to not want to do anything? And then you get in trouble for not doing something or finishing something. Um, excuse me, I can't be in three places at once. Poor training, I don't feel it was thorough enough, and I wasn't trained to do certain things, and had to teach myself, and if I asked the manager for help, she would say "oh my god" under her breath, and give me an attitude or a problem, and say bad things to me in front of the customers. Don't hire people if you're not willing to help them!! You're not being a good manager! Don't think the problem is me, when you said a lot of people keep leaving the job, and they don't stay long, and you have a high turnover rate! I really didn't like the way I was treated at The Gap. The same manager would engage in gossip with employees about other employees and customers! I don't like feeling like I'm stupid. Don't talk to me any kind of way.The pressure to sell Gap Cards is annoying. I really don't want to come into work, and keep talking about a Gap Card. What about the other aspects of a clothing store? They talk really long in your ear piece on the walkie-talkie and you can't hear anything else.
    really weird, strange hours. I had a lot of on-call hours, and was called in a lot on my days off, or asked to come in earlier at times when I wasn't able to (and I stated the hours I can work) short breaks.
    The other reviews pretty much hit all the points.

"Uncertainty and mind games"

Former Contractor - Infrastructure Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Infrastructure Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

For me, the compensation was really great, but I felt it was atypical. FT offers from other companies kept coming, and all I could get out of my manager was a grin.

Cons

Another contractor was terminated, apparently because of a 'personality mismatch', during the first week I worked at Gap HQ. When this happened, I knew I'd leave, but not when, though I kept trying to negotiate for an FT position and was continually told I was on track for one, but nothing about what it would look like.

I could see the games my manager was playing as they unfolded with others on the team at later stages, such as the responsibilities interviewed for being sort of "bonus" work to motivate someone to show up for the colossal task of unraveling interpersonal relationships the manager lost any ability to navigate on their own.

Advice to Management

Probably keep doing what you're doing, you're gonna get a punch in the face from a future employee who doesn't like being lied to in the face. Fortunately I avoided this by leaving due to clear and severe day-to-day dishonesty.

It was like getting a foot massage in a piranha tank.