Gap - I'm probably a "lifer". Great company, it would take something drastic for me to leave. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gap

"I'm probably a "lifer". Great company, it would take something drastic for me to leave."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boise, ID
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Gap full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee recognition programs / rewards. Competitive pay and bonuses. Quality products with loyal customers you can get to know. Gap inc is very socially responsible, celebrates the LGBT community passionately, and does fun and quirky things for the employees. I really like the "best practices" that keep things running smoothly. There's always a specific way to do something and by following the companies best way of doing it, stores stay operationally sound and profitable. And lastly, great benefits and Paid Time Off. Much better than other retailers.

Cons

As with all retail, the holiday season is exhausting. Payroll can be super tight during slow times. Gap inc customers tend to want / expect more from employees compared to brands. Annual raises are average, and can be affected by company performance

Advice to Management

Stay in tune with stores and what actually works. Plans on paper may look great but sometimes are disconnected with reality, visit stores more.

Other Employee Reviews for Gap

"Great experience, no career path"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of very talented people working at the Gap's GID division. There is great energy there. The build system is just beautiful. The technology stack is pretty good. And they really love Agile and quick delivery. The work / life balance is wonderful. Most people cut out at 5.

Cons

Unfortunately, the division has been focused on quick wins for too long and have dug a hole for themselves that will be very difficult and costly to get out of. There is a lack of cohesion for their platforms and working in several different offices has push the architects even further away from the code they are making decisions about. Also, there is no career path, unless you want to stay for 10 years.

Advice to Management

Glenn has some great ideas and seems to have his finger on the pulse of the company. His vision seems to get seriously diluted when it comes down the technology groups. Middle management is just focusing on delivery instead of maintaining a platform that can support growth, change, and evolution.

"Uncertainty and mind games"

Former Contractor - Infrastructure Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Infrastructure Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

For me, the compensation was really great, but I felt it was atypical. FT offers from other companies kept coming, and all I could get out of my manager was a grin.

Cons

Another contractor was terminated, apparently because of a 'personality mismatch', during the first week I worked at Gap HQ. When this happened, I knew I'd leave, but not when, though I kept trying to negotiate for an FT position and was continually told I was on track for one, but nothing about what it would look like.

I could see the games my manager was playing as they unfolded with others on the team at later stages, such as the responsibilities interviewed for being sort of "bonus" work to motivate someone to show up for the colossal task of unraveling interpersonal relationships the manager lost any ability to navigate on their own.

Advice to Management

Probably keep doing what you're doing, you're gonna get a punch in the face from a future employee who doesn't like being lied to in the face. Fortunately I avoided this by leaving due to clear and severe day-to-day dishonesty.

It was like getting a foot massage in a piranha tank.