Gap - A great place to start your career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gap

"A great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Brand recall, Culture&company values, generous employee discount, cool&talented co-workers, work-life balance, good cross-functional exposure, Social service activities, A well-established intern program with multiple challenging projects (been there for more than 15 years)

Cons

nothing much, just that the pay could be better, considering the fact that its a top-notch company

Advice to Management

Increase pay as we are working at one of the most expensive cities. Upgrade existing systems-they are too slow for such a huge company.

Other Employee Reviews for Gap

1. "Great managers and staff..Horrible Raises!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Gap part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would have to say after working at The Gap for 3 years my experience with management has been amazing. They are always fun, out going and know how to give direct feedback without making you feeling worthless and always applaud your work when sometimes your just doing your basic job description they always find a way to compliment your work. They are a bit pushy with getting people to sign up for The Gap credit cards and dont really have an reward system for those who do get more than the min (they due try to offer gift cards once in a blue moon) but its apart of the job description they told us that when we were hired. It was definitely a fun place to be at least my store. Also management if very flexible with schedules especially when you are in school that's definitely a plus. And if your looking not work many hours but want 50% off (like me..simply because most of the time it wasn't worth coming in for the pay) then its a great place to work. But you will definitely need another job because hours aren't guaranteed. Sometimes you will get a 10 hours a week. But I really enjoyed my time there and always worked another job.

Cons

This is definitely not a company to grow with as a sale associate. They cap the raises at 25 cents (if your not a specialist) and your not even guaranteed that amount based on your performance throughout the year. What is worst about the the raises that people who have worked for the company as sales associate for 3 -5 years like me are being paid less then the new hires that are starting with the company. That's not fair and I finally had a enough.

Advice to Management

Pay your senior associates fairly! Bump us up to at LEAST the current pay-rate of the new hires. You hire associates and pay them based on the stores "current pay rate",off of their experience LOOK at the employees that have experience within the brand and pay us appropriately! We work hard and we should be paid what the new hire hourly rate is plus more. You will continue to lose senior associates based on your 25cent capped raises and paying new sales associates more. I guarantee it. Great managers but I cant reccomend working for this company past a year because of the pay.

2. "It has its ups and downs"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally a good management team and atmosphere
    The discount isn't so bad

Cons

Impatient customers
    There may not be enough coverage on the sales floor depending on whether or not the store is meeting sales goals
    Random schedule every week
    A manager has a tendency to mistreat and speak to employees in a rude and unprofessional manner

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with at least a little respect, and you might get some back.