Gap - it was ok. | Glassdoor

"it was ok."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

they were flexible when possible, most employees were friendly.

Cons

Unsure of company vision, micro managing, unclear directions, little training

Other Employee Reviews for Gap

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of smart, talented people

Cons

Can be bureaucratic at times

Advice to Management

continue caring for your employees

"Co-workers were great, but few opportunities for advancement"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible hours. With so many employees, you'll almost always find someone to cover a shift for you or trade with. Perfect for students.
    - Great co-workers. I mainly worked in the Body department, which I absolutely loved. My co-workers were one of the main reasons I stayed as long as I did.
    - Amazing discount across Gap Inc. brands.
    - Fun training sessions. I looked forward to Body department training sessions every year. They made learning about the product really interesting, and you get to know 'Body Girls' from other stores. Even in Women's when new seasons come in you get to spend some time playing dress up with the new items so you can talk about them knowledgeably.
    - Decent breaks. For a full 9-hour shift you get an hour for lunch and two 15 minute breaks.

Cons

- Retail hours are retail hours, and coming home at midnight or later (sometimes 2am during holiday) got to me. Depending on the manager you could either go home when your section was finished (a treat!) or you had to help other sections finish (a burden). It's a double edged sword, when you finish early it's 'every man for himself!' but when you're really behind you'd love it someone was nice enough to help you close.
    - Really limited opportunities for advancement. I knew people who worked there for 5, 10 years who were in the same position they started in. In my time there only one, maybe two co-workers were promoted to manager positions.
    - Measly annual raises of 25 cents or less are commonplace.
    - Not enough spreading the word about various perks and benefits. I didn't know until a year into working there that we got discounts/reduced rates at some local food places, on things like transportation and cell phone bills. Even benefits such as donation matching and getting help with adoption costs and stuff like that, I had no idea about until a few months before I left.
    - A lot of pressure to get customers to sign up for the store credit card. It has a crazy high interest rate, I wouldn't wish that card on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

- Bring back e-mail receipts! Going green is in your favor.
    - Greeting is a waste of employee skills, and most customers ignore you anyway and that takes a toll on a person's self esteem.
    - For the love of all that is good in the world, change the soundtrack! Even now, over a year later, when I go in to shop it's still the exact same music. And on that note, country Christmas music in New York City? No.