Gap - A friendly environment and a classic brand. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gap

"A friendly environment and a classic brand."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with. Very accommodating and flexible with scheduling. High base pay. Great employee discount across all brands. Opportunity to win point to use towards prizes and awards for outstanding performance.

Cons

Too much emphasis on brand credit card sales. Lots of on-call scheduling. Some clothes are priced unreasonably high. Late Holiday Season hours.

Other Employee Reviews for Gap

1. "Seasonal Employee"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers were extremely helpful to new employees and very understanding when questions were asked. They did not get frustrated with those of us without prior retail experience. The discount was also great.

Cons

They will call you off if that store isn't busy, even if you're scheduled to work and not "on call." They also hired way too many seasonal employees, causing people to work 5-10 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many people.

2. "Seniority Wins Out"

Former Employee - Visual Brand Expert
    Former Employee - Visual Brand Expert

I worked at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Some great people
    -Fairly laid back
    -Great discount
    -Good place to learn basic retail management and get experience

Cons

-The company pushes GapCards insanely hard
    -Hours were always very tight which meant often having to do window changes, and floor sets during open hours with only one other person to be on the floor and ring customers
    -A lot of the employees have been there 10+ years, which can be good at times, but often they're stagnant and think they can do whatever they want because of seniority. I worked with another manager (at my same "management level") who had been there a long time but had no desire to move up in the company. I was trying to move up, but she would often push me out of meetings with higher ups and our store manager was too scared to say anything because of how long this woman had been there.

Advice to Management

Don't let seniority win out over good work. Encourage and help employees who want to grow, or else they'll leave.