Gap - Great company to work for that cares about the community. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gap

"Great company to work for that cares about the community."

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great focus on the community. Investing programs (philanthropic) that support underserved communities, focus on volunteerism, strong senior leadership. Solid benefits with 401K, health, product discount (50%).

Cons

Being such a big company, some brands and areas of the company are stronger than others. The HQ employees can maintain a strong work life balance whereas store/field employees struggle more with work-life balance. Speciality apparel is such an up and down business so it can be frustrating when business is not going well.

Advice to Management

Consider reviewing what teams have strong culture and replicating some of those elements into other departments.

Other Employee Reviews for Gap

1. "Nice starting job, not really for maintaining"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Monroe, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Monroe, NY

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best Pros at this specific company are that there are benefits of acquiring good customer service skills and allowing yourself to gain patience when dealing with people who are both US citizen and visitors of the country. Good team working skills are built at the company along with learning how to maintain merchandise in a concise and organized manner. Customer safety and employee safety is very up to par with safety standards in the US.

Cons

Notably, often times diligence is not paid off or rather goes unnoticed in the company, and sometimes favoritism is represented through how sociable you are with rest of the staff and how much you are willing to befriend everyone on staff. Problems arise when not enough product is on the sales floor and replenishing sometimes happens during the business hours of the days, impending that customer service suffers a great deal. Also, the amount of pay versus the amount of work ethic, time, consideration, that you earn is not just. Lastly, the level of attention to updating the operating systems and keeping the registers up to date with more recent technology is vastly neglected. Registers at the specific Gap Store that I have worked is using a Windows '95 Operating System and is typical running a kind of "Helping Employee Relations" spoon-fed program, that teaches how to interact between customers as a professional Gap employee; and the actual register program which syncs with the bar code scanner to assess the prices of items. Every register that I have used has had a sluggish feel and hinders the process of allowing a customer to pay and leave at a quick and convenient time.

Advice to Management

Gap has a very good grasp of merchandising and product control thus far, and is thoroughly ran by managers who are experienced from previous retail stores as managers. The problem, and I have witnessed this first hand as a Gap employee, is the customer-employee experience and that there needs to be more diligence when it comes to engaging with a customer and ultimately allowing for the employee to make selling Gap clothes that much more easier. Perhaps some tips on how to use ice-breakers to engage customers and create a more relational experience for customer, but truly customer experience suffers from lack of preparation with stores and how much or how little product is actually out for display.

I am unsure if the issue is actually from the program itself or the operating system, but the register program that is deployed on the computers at the store seem to lag on the computers causing stoppage in sales and inconveniences the customers, I am almost sure it is the operating system (Windows '95) that is slowing down the system, if the register program is upward compatible for Windows 7 than this could be a simple issue.

Other than that, I like The Gap overall as a major retail company, it is where I get a lot of my clothes and I want it to be the best, if not, on par with the best retailing sale franchise in the world.

2. "An OK job that had both its highs and lows"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at Gap part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I found a majority of my co-workers to be a legitimate joy to work with. We all got along really well and would routinely hang out after work. Of course, this level of friendliness amongst co-workers (and management even) meant work could be quite enjoyable at times. In addition, I found the employee discount to be rather generous (about 40% off I think, if I remember that correctly....might have changed since then), especially when you could put it towards discount items too. Finally, when you had an opportunity to help someone with their selections, and they were legitimately appreciative of your help, that always brightened my day.

Cons

Slow days, job can be monotonous at times, temperamental/impatient/rude customers, the continual pressure to open store credit cards, and the frequent changing of management (all of whom bring their own ideas on how to best run the store....which may or may not work). While I worked under some highly-qualified managers, I can remember 1 or 2 who were completely inept.

Advice to Management

Some consistency in management would have been a plus. Of course, having managers rotate out of our store every 6-8 months wasn't exactly ideal to say the least. As for the new managers coming in to their role, if you've never worked at the store you're assigned to, take the time to gather employee feedback on what the store's situation is like, what the customers are like, and what strategies worked/didn't work in the past. Just because your idea on how to run a store may sound good in your head, it might not work here, given the store's unique situation and clientele.