Garmin - Steady work, fun products, awesome benefits. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

"Steady work, fun products, awesome benefits."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Many engineering departments get to work on very cool consumer products.
- The company is very diversified, allowing it to withstand the instability caused by rapidly changing technology.
- Ample opportunities to switch departments.
- 100% medical coverage at nearly no cost ( $10 copay)
- Johnson County is an absolute 5-star place to raise a family. Schools are fantastic.
- Decent PTO including standard holidays.
- Work/Life balance is fantastic in most departments.

Cons

- Engineers tend to be promoted to management with little or no management training. Many end up trying it out, don't like it, and return to engineering.
- Can be slow to adopt new tools and refactor existing code base, which often gets re-used without much improvement.
- Engineering advancement track is in its infancy and thus has yet to be proven effective.

Advice to Management

Continue efforts to hold on to top talent.

Other Employee Reviews for Garmin

"Low pay and poor management"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, some good people

Cons

The entire company is reactive not proactive.

Advice to Management

Let the business people run the company not the engineers

"Overall positive experience"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work in aviation engineering. My review applies to the aviation engineering not consumer engineering. Excellent benefits. Average pay. Great work environment. Casual. Management is NOT big-headed. They are involved and helpful. Sometimes they micromanage, but it's not done on purpose. It's done with genuine good intention (and ignorance). If you're not a fearful person, you can be open with anyone. _Everyone_ is a genuinely good person. The majority of people are intelligent too. Job security. Hard work is noticed and rewarded.

Cons

I work in aviation engineering. My review applies to the aviation engineering not consumer engineering. Aviation is growing into having a big company feel. It's burdened with process. I personally have a hard time seeing how the process really improves the product and customer experience. One can still guide change, but it's microscopic change. Engineers are thinking less and simply following the process. 'You must follow the process!!!' Not many people think outside of the box. The engineers have great technical capability and analytical intelligence but little perspective on what engineering's role in a company is. Less than half of the work is engineering these days. The engineers _are_ the ones that make it that way, but I don't think they realize that. I think the engineers tend to think it's the FAA and other regulatory agencies that make it that way. If you're OK being someone that simply shows up for work and does what's required of you, then you will probably find the company does not have many cons. I personally feel like I'm often doing work that is somewhat empty.

Advice to Management

Maintain focus on keeping the excellent work environment, but learn how to better hold people accountable.