Garmin - Racist, dictatorial Aviation division | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

"Racist, dictatorial Aviation division"

Current Employee - Embedded Test Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
Current Employee - Embedded Test Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Decent benefits, good 401k match
2. In aviation division, work was good. Some of the software developers were really smart.

Cons

1. Worst culture for non-whites.
2. No flex hours at all. Strictly 8:30 to 5:30 pm work schedule.
3. The aviation division treated a fresher like me with out any respect and used draconian laws to teach me a lesson rather than giving me an opportunity to explain my so called "mistakes"
4. HR is equally useless and believes in taking punitive/retaliatory measures against erring employees regardless of their circumstances.

Advice to Management

1. Stop running this company like a 19th century manufacturing unit.
2. Your employees are your strength and if you dont treat them right, you will get screwed. The company is already losing talent
3. This is not Texas and racial bias towards south asian culture is useless in 21st century. Please address these concerns.

Other Employee Reviews for Garmin

1. "Great place for an internship!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Garmin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great software engineering internship program.
    -Nice company with very engaged employees.
    -Lots of interesting projects.

Cons

-Employee retention seems low.
    -Company culture in remote offices seems less important.
    -As an embedded systems provider, the technologies used can be quite ancient.

Advice to Management

Make the workplace more fun at remote locations, and try to use newer technologies in development.

"Garmin is a good place to work, despite uneven leadership among management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about Garmin is the generally friendly attitude among the employees. Managers and employees are eager to share knowledge across teams. It's not uncommon to have face-to-face discussions with the other people working on a project. There's a definite focus on problem-solving and creating better products. Company provided benefits are acceptable, and other amenities such as on-site gym are a plus.

Cons

The leadership among management seems hit or miss. Some are very interested in the well-being of their team, good at communication, or have a vision for products, while others are lacking. This has created confusion or frustration among employees about projects ("What are we doing? Why are we doing this?"). Sometimes management seems isolated, or lacks "big picture" thinking.

Advice to Management

Open up to employees in general: become more inclusive, communicate strategies and goals, and ask for constructive feedback more often.