Garmin - Fast paced, multi tasking environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

"Fast paced, multi tasking environment"

Former Employee - Developer Or Project Analyst in Olathe, KS
Former Employee - Developer Or Project Analyst in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to projects from inception, room to explore a lot. Project analyst role very broad, you can do as much or as little as you want! Lots of initiatives for employees health, fitness.

Cons

Management not very versatile. Promotions difficult, you need to be part of "the" lunch group. Newly promoted team leads very petty and inexperienced with employee times.

Advice to Management

Give everyone a fair chance. Change with changing times, allow more WFH, be more understanding and don't be petty with employee timings.

Other Employee Reviews for Garmin

"Servant oriented, innovative culture - Garmin takes care of its own!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've always felt that if you work hard and contribute, you'll be rewarded. We have an incredible total rewards package including several options for health, plus dental, vision, 401k and Pension Plans. Garmin also offers awesome opportunities for the associates and thier families such as our Winter Event, Children's Holiday Party, Summer Event, and Easter Egg Hunt, which I think is unique for a company of Garmin's size. I believe in our leadership's vision, our culture and our mission and feel that the values that Garmin espouses are values that our associates truly try to live by in the performance of thier jobs.

Cons

Lack of options for flexible schedules or working from home. I worry that this lack of flexiblity in some cases could be construed by some as a lack of work/life balance. Although I understand the philosophy behind this decision - face to face collaboration results in a more successful product/collaboration - I think that some additional flexiblity is warranted.

Advice to Management

Over my tenure at Garmin, I've seen some of the entrepreneurial spirit that Garmin started with fade. Although I believe that Garmin is still dedicated to innovation, I'd like to see it be more prevalent among our engineers, giving them the opportunity to explore innovative ideas at a higher level such as an "innovation day" or "hack day" as some other companies may call it.

"Technically satisfying but disappointing in terms of professional leadership."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Neat products to work on.
    Not a lot of pressure.

Cons

Leadership training is practically non-existent for new managers, resulting in morale drop among employees.
    Revers age discrimination in promotions.

Advice to Management

Invest in employee leadership training prior to promotion.
    Install professional development programs for engineers.