Garmin - Amazing place to be all around | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

"Amazing place to be all around"

I have been working at Garmin full-time

Pros

What a fantastic culture and they are very understanding of life

Cons

Not a darn thing can be said here

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Other Employee Reviews for Garmin

"Satisfying work with flexible hours and excellent management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am given responsibility to complete projects in the way I see fit.
    Hours are flexible, within reasonable limits around core business hours.
    Can work from home in case of mild sickness or inclement weather instead of using vacation time.
    Managers are engineers promoted from within, so they understand the projects we work on and are very reasonable with deadlines and expectations.
    Development tools and hardware are kept up to date.
    Benefits are excellent for families.

Cons

Benefits are not as good for single employees.
    Compensation lags behind other software positions.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining good employees with higher compensation. Constantly training new engineers is not cheaper than keeping that hard-won experience with our technologies.

"You could do much, much worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health benefits are excellent and have options where you may pay little to nothing for them. 401k match is outstanding--you can take complete control of your plan, choose a self-adjusting plan, or anywhere inbetween. Upper management genuinely cares about company,how its customers perceive it, and if its associates (NOT "employees," associates) are satisfied in their work.

Cons

Middle management is a mixed bag when it comes to the above. There are middle managers that genuinely think of Garmin as one and try to operate with other departments that way, and there are middle managers more concerned about protecting their fiefdoms than functioning as one company. Sometimes major changes happen that the entire company must accept and adapt to, without having prior input, because only one department required the change. It makes inter-department communication often very difficult.
    It's easy to get the perception at Garmin that there are two sets of rules, one for engineers and one for everyone else. This especially applies if one works in manufacturing.
    We grew so fast from 1995 to 2005 that there are two separate and distinct cultures depending on when one was hired, one that knew the small scrappy company and one that knows only the "big" company, and they often collide--especially in high-turnover departments like Product Support.

Advice to Management

An independent thinker can see a lot of opportunity in my "cons" above and could make one hell of a career with Garmin. I would suggest selling the company that way to prospective associates. To an extent we're doing that already with the updating of our mission statement, but I believe it should be a top-down process, including every interview of a prospective associate. Current associates--and their managers--need to be encouraged to think and act independently, not as "cowboys" or "lone rangers" but as teammates with a common goal worth meeting because it directly benefits them. As we've grown we've picked up too many who've lost sight of that. It needs to come back.