Garmin - Great management | Glassdoor

"Great management"

Current Employee - Engineer in Olathe, KS
Current Employee - Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team events, charity, culture, perks, great campus

Cons

large company, career path is very competitive

Advice to Management

Department managers should have less say in who they promote as team managers.

Other Employee Reviews for Garmin

"Monotonous & boring, not challenging, little career growth"

Former Employee - Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed and flexible work environment, great benefits, and good work/life balance. Overwhelmingly nice coworkers.

Cons

Garmin was my first job out of college and, based on my interview with them, it sounded like an exciting, innovative place to work -- great for a new engineer. I couldn't wait to dive in. Unfortunately, it fell far short of that initial promise...

The work itself was, to put it mildly, boring. There was nothing to make me feel engaged or invested in it. Most projects assigned were either small/inconsequential or rehashes of prior designs. The few new, innovative product designs were left to more senior engineers. Many projects were started and stopped, never seeing completion...especially when Garmin unsuccessfully dipped into the mobile phone market. Felt like it was impossible to grow and develop as an engineer here. Often stuck in minor supporting roles on projects even as you are supposedly "advancing" to higher levels (Engineer II, III, etc.)...which should in theory command more responsibility.

All in all, I spent almost 5 years at Garmin, and at the end, felt like, professionally, I advanced little beyond when I first came out of college.

Advice to Management

Allow younger engineers the chance to take on more advanced, more complex projects.

2. "Solid Internship, non ideal work for most developers"

Current Intern - Aviation Systems/Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Intern - Aviation Systems/Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and atmosphere, awesome workstations. Plenty of employee discounts to choose from, overall pretty great place to work if you're into low level software, or get into another department other than aviation.

Cons

I didn't do any development, just a lot of testing, which wasn't what I signed up for as a developer, but OK work for an intern. It had to be done and it's going to help our team in the future.

Advice to Management

Give the interns more variety in work so they get a better understanding of what it's like to work full time. Overall though, the management is fantastic and take mentorship seriously.