Garmin - You can make your own opportunities, if you keep an open mind | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

"You can make your own opportunities, if you keep an open mind"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Olathe, KS
Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

401k plan is one of the best around--my financial advisor has told me as much, compared to other area companies it just plain rocks.
Employee Stock Purchase Plan is also excellent. It makes me wish I made enough money to invest the full 10% possible.
Health insurance is excellent--thanks to the current political situation it is (mostly) not free, but it IS much more affordable compared to the same plans bought on the federal exchange. Especially if you have a family, you'd be crazy not to take advantage of it. That good. If you are in excellent health, there's even one plan they'll pay you to take!
Current department I work in has an excellent director who genuinely cares if her associates are happy in their work. She's also fantastic when it comes to how well we work with other departments and vice versa. We're fortunate to have her.
Overall culture of company is informal--in most cases, regardless of title or position, anyone here will greet you by first name and talk to you face-to-face. No "corporate snobbery" here.
If you're a self-starter who knows what your skill set is and what it makes you capable of doing, you can do very well here.

Cons

Take-home pay isn't as much compared to other area companies. The company reminds you with a benefits letter each year that it's a trade-off, but profitable as the operation is, it's still a head-scratcher.
The only serious reward for excellent performance is a management position. Not everyone wants to be a manager. Not everyone is cut out to be a manager. I suspect many of the negative reviews here on Glassdoor for Garmin have their roots in a manager who shouldn't have been one.
If you prefer a plainly-defined, start-here-to-get-here-via-this-and-this-and-this career path, Garmin is just not for you. There's an effort being made to make those happen, but they've really never been part of our culture. To advance, you have to be a self-starter, you have to ask questions, you have to make contacts, and you have to keep your eyes open.

Advice to Management

We could stand more openness about Garmin's future market plans. While understandably we don't want to "tip our hat" to the competition, we need something to rally around that's tangible. We need to hear "This is what we want to be, this is how we're going to get there, this is how we are going to win."

Other Employee Reviews for Garmin

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, really the best I have seen anywhere
    Great culture, everyone has a lot of fun, particularly if you like ping pong
    Challenging work, very satisfying
    Fun products, cool to see stuff you work on in Best Buy

Cons

Can have heavy hours when a major release is coming up
    Base salary range is a little low, though the benefits tend to make up for it

2. "Exciting at first, but growing pains in the leadership as the company expanded without proper leadership training."

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good technical experience for new grads, especially for electrical engineers.
    Good health plan benefits and life/ work balance.
    Internships for engineering students available.

Cons

No training for leadership development.
    No budget for engineers' tradeshow travel or continuing education.
    Age discrimination in promotions-- youth culture.

Advice to Management

Get feedback from the workers!