Garmin - Great company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

"Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Pros

They really care about the employees. They have the best benefits I have been able to find in a company yet.

Cons

Human Resources is not the greatest. They can be extremely unprofessional. Everything else about the company makes up for what they lack.

Other Employee Reviews for Garmin

"Easy, steady, great work-life balance but no opportunity for growth or earnings"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Pros

1. Lifetime employment if you are an engineer
    2. Nice benefits package compared to other hi-tech companies
    3. Focus on work-life balance

Cons

1. Opportunity to grow is absent if you are not an engineer
    2. Accountability resides with C-Level mgt only. Senior/Middle-managers are "nice people" and "yes-men".
    3. Auto business has no forward looking vision or growth plan

Advice to Management

1. Focus on people development. Implement leadership development program and provide opportunities for growth to ambitious people.
    2. Give freedom to VPs and Directors to make decisions, spend money and manage budgets. Reward / hold them accountable for their actions.
    3. Move away from "core business hours" concept. It is not in tune with the international culture of hi-tech. Immigrants and single people are willing to put in more hours and be super productive. Exploit that potential.

"I was able to work on cool products with a fantastic group of engineers."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

Pros

My group at Garmin was very talented - the most talented team I have worked with in my career. My bosses recognized the talent and push us each to have many responsibilities. It was a very fulfilling place to work, and it was a treat to be able to see the products I developed on store shelves.

Cons

There were many other groups that didn't share the positive team dynamic that I experienced. There were areas of the company that were very bureaucratic, and areas where the individual engineer was ignored by management.

Advice to Management

I would recommend trying to better recruit top-level engineers, and to expect each engineer to develop significant responsibilities for the products or features they are working on.