Gartner - Sr. Account Executive | Glassdoor

"Sr. Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

SAO organization manages by intimidation. Monthly meetings are never ending role play which has little to do with understanding the customer needs. There is enormous turnover in the Federal sales team. Management is deceptive about success of team in achieving their quota. Team did not make their number in 2010 nor 2011. Federal clients are cutting their subscriptions substantially and Gartner management seems clueless. Quotas have not change. Work policy can change on the fly. Get every thing management promises to you in writing.

Advice to Management

Bring in experienced managers who understand Federal market and get rid of the long time Gartner managers

Other Employee Reviews for Gartner

"Great company, lacks stability within some channels (Sales/AM)"

Former Employee - Account Manager: SMB N A - HTTP in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager: SMB N A - HTTP in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work environment / offices; Just recently completed a brand new building w/ gym in Ft, Myers.
    - Good training program that brings new hires up to speed about the industry and Gartner Services.
    - Health / Dental / 401k / tuition reimbursement.
    - Lots of support for families / family emergencies (IMO)
    - Well respected name and a great company to have on your resume.
    - Strict hiring process: it's true what is said it is very difficult to get a job at Gartner. (4 phone interviews, 1 face-to-face that includes a presentation (self), role-play and shadowing)
    - If you live in South West, Florida you don't have many options to work for a Global company, so Gartner is it!

Cons

- Service offering is a little out of line with today's economy and the needs of CMO/CTO's
    - Ton's of TURN OVER!! (That is within the AM/Sales roles, feels a lot like copier sales.)
    - Very aggressive quotes for today's economy (I meet 110% of my quota, fyi), companies don't have the IT Research Budgets these days as they did in early/mid 2000's. I feel that the quota's are driven by Gartner's resent acquisitions (Burton, etc) and large "IT/Conference" spends (10+ Million).
    - Analysts are a pain to work with. Internal channels don't help when it comes to setting up analyst calls with clients. A lot of push back from analyst because they are over-worked, over committed. IE: An analyst is said to cover an area of technology but when asked the analyst say's they don't cover that space, WTF?
    - Market Share is dropping: When I worked for Gartner you are "told" that Gartner is the greatest thing sense slice bread, etc. When I got back into the work force, I came to realize and learn that Forrester is much closer than I thought.

Advice to Management

- Re-evaluate your service offerings.
    - You're losing market share to Forrester, you know it start acting like it. ($$, white papers, etc)
    - Re-focus on quality over quantity. 700+ Analyst means nothing if they are mediocre and unperson-able to clients!
    - Bring quotas inline with the IT Spend / Economy.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Stamford, CT

Pros

Gartner is a great place to work!

Cons

I can't think of any Cons