Gaston College - Part Time Instructor in General Education | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gaston College

"Part Time Instructor in General Education"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Dallas, NC
Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Dallas, NC

Pros

It's a collaborative environment. Everyone seems focused on educating our students, rather than packing them in like sardines. Although I am part time, I feel valued for my contribution. The students are, for the most part, respectful and attentive. I've been very happy at Gaston.

Cons

The administrative work required of classroom teachers is a lot, but I think it has more to do with accredidation than anything. The pay is not good. It's hard to put in as much work as is required and get so little in return.

Advice to Management

For the most part, continue doing what you are doing. Keep the focus on educating students at all levels, and providing access to services to all students. Consider keeping some support areas open after 5pm and on weekends, so students who work full time can access them.

Other Employee Reviews for Gaston College

1. "Company review"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Gaston College as an intern

Pros

the people are overall kind and helpful, the work is varied even though it is specific generally to the business office.

Cons

the only con i can think of is that it is truly a co op job, but on a great side you can take your skills with you, such as to the hospital for instance.

2. "Changes have chipped away at morale"

I have been working at Gaston College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For the most part, friendly people that try and help each other succeed. Good benefits have helped keep many employees here and there is a great camaraderie among the faculty and staff. Helping students succeed and escape difficult home/personal situations is very rewarding.

Cons

A bit too much nepotism and favoritism that chips away at the staff's positive outlook. Things have changed for the worse in the last 5-6 years as management has lost focus on classroom teaching. The college needs to hire a more diverse faculty, as minorities are quite lacking in faculty and anything above lower-level staff. State cuts in class diversity, low pay, no raises, and other changes have really hurt the morale of the staff and faculty.