GateHouse Media - Hardworking, dedicated professionals but corporate management out of touch | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GateHouse Media

"Hardworking, dedicated professionals but corporate management out of touch"

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with people who care about their communities, are dedicated to the craft of journalism

Cons

Poor pay, high health insurance costs, lack of 401K match (while I was there). Lack of resources, equipment (up-to-date computers, photography, video equipment).

Advice to Management

Make better business decisions and provide employees with even modest cost of living pay increases and the proper equipment to do the job.

Other Employee Reviews for GateHouse Media

"I work with one of the papers owned by them."

Current Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good, fairly flexible schedule.

Cons

Management needs better communication skills.

"Long hours, terrible pay, horrible communication."

Current Employee - Reporter
    Current Employee - Reporter

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The community-oriented local support staff are wonderful, hardworking people. In some areas, Gatehouse-owned publications are the only legit source of news coverage. It's a job, and I can't deny that journalism positions are scarce these days.

Cons

Extensive personnel cuts; my paper is down to three full time news staff (including the managing editor), one full time sports editor, one part time sports writer and a stringer/columnist. In addition to being required to work 6 to 7 days a week, often nights and weekends too, the staff is required to write, design pages, update the website, update twitter at least twice each every day, post photo and video content, as well as whatever else the morons at corporate or our idiot regional editor decides we have to do. On top of it all, I'm paid less than the average retail or food service employee, and I'm never approved for overtime, even if it means missing important events. I've taken to just logging the overtime, corporate be damned.

Corporate promised us that they would move out layout to central copy just after the first of the year. Most recent meetings indicted that our design will go to central copy sometime in 2013.

Oh and have I mentioned that I've met my publisher and regional editor a total of twice each?

Advice to Management

Realize that your community newspapers are more than a source of advertising revenue to the people they service. Stop forcing useless advertiser-appeasing fluff pieces on reporters who are looking to do real journalism. Pay us well, seek our input. Maybe then you'll get out of debt and begin to be recognized as a formidable news company with some integrity. Until then, you're nothing but corporate fat cats who want to play "Newsman".